SOLUTION TO SPAGHETTI AND DOCKED ARMOR - YEAY MATH!

Reaction score
    All I would have to do is surround my systems in lightweight obliterates such as capsules, motherboards, etc. which would only add about 40% mass to the ship.
    No more. Minimum block weight currently is 0.05 in dev build. Which means that for a strand you'll have almost double the weight in casing.

So a full spaghetti ship will weight around three times more than it's systems (Or around 66% of total ship mass in hull and decor blocks). Compared to blocky ship that would weight 15-25% more, depending on size and shape of the ship.

Reaction score
    No more. Minimum block weight currently is 0.05 in dev build. Which means that for a strand you'll have almost double the weight. in casing.

So a full spaghetti ship will weight around three times more than it's systems (Or around 66% of total ship mas in hull and decor blocks). Compared to blocky ship that would weight 15-25% more, depending on size and shape of the ship.
    Wait... weren't we promised "lightweight interior blocks" with the 2.0 system to make detailing ships less of a penalty.

Well, that aside, at most this would force players to settle for 2x2 system strands for a total hull mass of 33% which is easy enough to offset. While this would make spaghetti more killable, the difference between a x100 survivability bonus and a x50 survivability bonus still isn't enough to say the problem would be anywhere near fixed.

Reaction score
    ... after the number of ships that I've seen/heard of burning away in the past 2 days, I will try to explain nicely why this integrity system works, and what was implemented does not. I'm not saying that this exact proposal is the only way to go, but there are 3 key differences that should be considered:

1) Damage multiplication vs secondary explosions.
    Secondary explosions create a chain reaction effect that further reduces integrity and triggers more explosions. Basically, once a system starts to "burn", there is no stopping it. This is a highly exploitable issue since a waffle of beams or cannons cause so much increased surface area that an attacker can just drop your shields, spray you with a few waffle beams and jump away. Then having done less than 3% damage, they've doomed your ship to a slow and unavoidable death.

This system suggested instead a more passive malice like bonus damage (which would have worked MUCH better with the structuralHP system), but alternatives could be performance degradation or "feed-back" damage to the reactorHP.
    2) Low-end scaling.
    This suggestion does not penalize small ships. Current build makes small ships all super fragile because they don't have the inner space to pad integrity.
    3) Live updating damage to integrity.
    If the point of integrity is to combat spaghetti building, and you want to do it without encouraging doom cubes, you need to NOT update integrity on damage. The reason is that now ppl have to make all systems cubes to be optimally durable... this is very boring and strongly drives design (ugly ones at that), but if people are allowed to build their ship up to being just shy of structurally unsound, then people can still do creative things like pack a nacel with thrusters and not have to worry about it catching fire more easily.

[edit] technically, if #3 is addressed, #1 should be fine​

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Run this on my 220k range ships that you fought (if this actually ever becomes a thing) and if that ship isn't unreasonable ill agree with you.
    It's a good plan as long as it doesn't nerf me.(y)

Non

Reaction score
    It's a good plan as long as it doesn't nerf me.(y)
    No, because that ship has 2 layers of spaced armor (a bit much) and spaced internals, a pretty reasonable and realistic way to build a combat ship that leaves a lot of exposed faces.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Depending on how low-density/ high surface area your internals are, it may or may not hit 1.0, but even if something like that did, such a ship would likely not fall into the massive damage multiplier of a 1x1 strand speg but but into a % range penalty that could still well be worth the tradeoff of your design choice.

Frankly, a ship like that SHOULD begin to hit structural integrity penalties, since as you admit, it is exploiting low density for survival, but if you were to design such a ship smartly in this sort of system, you could intentionally build right up to 1.0 for optimal survivability.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    No, because that ship has 2 layers of spaced armor (a bit much) and spaced internals, a pretty reasonable and realistic way to build a combat ship that leaves a lot of exposed faces.
    I see! Gotta admit, the way it reads is :ROFLMAO: