Solar panels

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, I'm a bit surprised these haven't been really suggested. Nobody thinks of solar panels in space? *Points at all the satellites floating around above us*

Anyway, this was an Idea I came up with while talking about stations and such.

First and foremost, These panels will produce double the power of normal power reactors, but they cannot be placed on ships, only stations. This way stations can have an easier time keeping power up while under attack or using lots of factories.
    Now, for this bonus to be balanced, I thought of two cons, if you can think of others, id love to hear em:
    -These panels MUST be placed OUTSIDE the station, and not be covered by other blocks and such.
    -The station they are connected to MUST be in a system WITH A SUN and cannot have a planet between it and the sun.

Now, this of course, leaves them wide open for an attacking ship to shoot out, and therefore, eliminate any power bonus they give.

Solar panels will have an efficiency set-up, similar to how Power reactors have an efficiency set-up too, to make them more useful.

If you've ever seen the ISS, you know that most solar panels are very rectangular, and long over wide. I was thinking there should be a ratio something like (Using ZxXxY) 15x5x1 would be the most efficient (and ratios like 30x10x2, etc would also be within this parameter, which could be set by the server too.)

This is just a rough idea, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how this could be balanced even further. (And i don't wanna hear arguments about "Solar panels barely generate energy" Because we all know that this game is set in the far off future, and more likely than not we will have really good solar power generators by then)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Solar panels have been weaved into many power threads before.

Maybe give solar panel groups a power bonus like this: + ( ( longest dimension - shortest dimension ) / ceil ( remaining dimension / 2.5 ) ).

This should ensure that the optimum layout would be long, thin, and flat. The shortest dimension at optimum thickness would be 1. The middle-size dimension could be up to 3 blocks wide without penalty, so that it wouldn't have to be just a stick. The longest dimension would be as long as you can make it for a maximum bonus.

It looks like one of the cons you insinuated, but did not specify was that solar panels would not be shielded. Can you verify?

reference quote: "leaves them wide open for an attacking ship to shoot out"

That would be a big negative, but I like it that way.

I've been looking for a shiny black decoration block, and thought that a solar panel block would fill the bill nicely. I'd use them in my RP hallways, even if they can't generate electricity there.

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Solar panels have been weaved into many power threads before.

Maybe give solar panel groups a power bonus like this: + ( ( longest dimension - shortest dimension ) / ceil ( remaining dimension / 2.5 ) ).

This should ensure that the optimum layout would be long, thin, and flat. The shortest dimension at optimum thickness would be 1. The middle-size dimension could be up to 3 blocks wide without penalty, so that it wouldn't have to be just a stick. The longest dimension would be as long as you can make it for a maximum bonus.
    Makes sense.

It looks like one of the cons you insinuated, but did not specify was that solar panels would not be shielded. Can you verify?

reference quote: "leaves them wide open for an attacking ship to shoot out"

That would be a big negative, but I like it that way.
    Shields would still cover them, but everyone knows how easily shields can be cut down with an anti-shield lancer, so having them oustide (Vs internally) leaves them more vulnerable when the shields drop.

I've been looking for a shiny black decoration block, and thought that a solar panel block would fill the bill nicely. I'd use them in my RP hallways, even if they can't generate electricity there.
    Haha, sounds like another interesting use xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    *another bump* Cmon' guys! don't let this die without more input T-T

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Makes sense.

Shields would still cover them, but everyone knows how easily shields can be cut down with an anti-shield lancer, so having them oustide (Vs internally) leaves them more vulnerable when the shields drop.

Haha, sounds like another interesting use xD
    Agree with just about all of that. Yeah i think it would be a good idea and perhaps it might be incorporated into future designs.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/solar-flares.3532/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/heat-energy-solar-power-balance-feature.3008/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/solar-panel.2909/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/solar-sails.1476/

As you can see it's not the first time this topic has been brought up and i'm sure not the last.
    However you can be assured i'm all for solar panels as it after all a great potential way of harvesting energy and power in an obvious way.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It is a lot harder to defend than to attack since you can build your ship for the purpose of attacking exactly this or focus all your shield power in one siege titan.

Thus I like stuff that makes stations more useful than ships.
    Since stations can't move, you may want supply stations elsewhere too.

Stations would be for these players which use Gate-Networks and visit the same locations over and over again.

I'd also like a ship which can generate extreme amounts of power due to a low orbit around the sun to charge warp drives more quickly.
    This could give you an edge in space races (challenges, quests) or combat/escape.

BTW it is nice that somebody digs out my thread
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/heat-energy-solar-power-balance-feature.3008/

Maybe we can re-gain power from heat to boost the efficiency of thrusters, weapons or warp drives (to make this system superior in efficiency over your others for a better total build according to your specialization)