So...... Schema has made some changes to the space between galaxies..

D

Deleted member 433088

Yup. I wasn't around before the galactic update, but I did notice void systems are swarming with stations. I think that's cool, allows you to cut a bloody path from galaxy to galaxy, building a massive fleet from the lifeless husks of the defeated. </bloodlust>

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally I would rather see some other danger between galaxies. Just having a ton of pirate stations doesn't seem that dangerous, and doesn't make sense that there would be that much out there. Hell, I would much rather have an empty void and no danger over a spam of pirate stations.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    Yea. (Borrowing from Firefly) I would like to see the void between galaxies be some fresh hell. That way there is more incentive to stay in the galaxy until a faction gets big enough to fund a gate between them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I certainly see no reason to have so many stations. Perhaps one derelict station every system or every other system or less, an occasional pirate fleet on the move. It does need unique threats, though. There's obviously no such thing as total vacuum, but density shouldn't be the same as in a galaxy.

I dunno, systems failures due to lack of external heat? Alien NPCs like space carp?

Reaction score
    I'd prefer the void between galaxies being just that, a void. No stars, no planets, no asteroids, no ships, no stations, nothing. Just a lot of empty space. The danger of traveling the void isn't to your ship, it's to your sanity as there's no auto-run and traveling that distance with literally nothing to break up the monotony would suck.

Only exception would be truly alien things. A huge ass, exceptionally powerful alien looking space station with very big and very powerful alien ships lurking the dark reaches of space. You'll either die of boredom or die to aliens not found in the galaxy. Mere pirates or derelicts should stay in the galaxy, outside the galaxy deserves to be far more alien.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd prefer the void between galaxies being just that, a void. No stars, no planets, no asteroids, no ships, no stations, nothing. Just a lot of empty space. The danger of traveling the void isn't to your ship, it's to your sanity as there's no auto-run and traveling that distance with literally nothing to break up the monotony would suck.

Only exception would be truly alien things. A huge ass, exceptionally powerful alien looking space station with very big and very powerful alien ships lurking the dark reaches of space. You'll either die of boredom or die to aliens not found in the galaxy. Mere pirates or derelicts should stay in the galaxy, outside the galaxy deserves to be far more alien.

Good place for those space wales to live.

I crossed galaxies once... it took forever and just sucked... pirate stations makes it easier, something to do on the way. Take a break, blow one up.

Reaction score
    Good place for those space wales to live.

I crossed galaxies once... it took forever and just sucked... pirate stations makes it easier, something to do on the way. Take a break, blow one up.
    That's part of why I don't want things like pirate stations. Crossing galaxies SHOULD suck. A single galaxy is more than big enough to happily house every single starmade player and still have excess room. Going to a new one shouldn't be easy and the fact that it takes forever should encourage players to start large-scale projects to colonize new galaxies. Basically players should have to put in a fair bit of work to get non-death inducing access to another galaxy, namely in the way of jump gate bridges. But setting up an array of jupgates to get from one galaxy to another isn't an easy task and that means only dedicated players will get access to them, sort of like a type of endgame content.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's part of why I don't want things like pirate stations. Crossing galaxies SHOULD suck. A single galaxy is more than big enough to happily house every single starmade player and still have excess room. Going to a new one shouldn't be easy and the fact that it takes forever should encourage players to start large-scale projects to colonize new galaxies. Basically players should have to put in a fair bit of work to get non-death inducing access to another galaxy, namely in the way of jump gate bridges. But setting up an array of jupgates to get from one galaxy to another isn't an easy task and that means only dedicated players will get access to them, sort of like a type of endgame content.
    I'm thinking dangerous anomalies, nebula's, hostile space fairing creatures would all be a better fit for the void, the void being populated sure does make it less of a void.

Reaction score
    I would like more dangerous sectors, or at least more variation in sectors in general. But one thing I'd like to see in dangerous sectors is pirate cities, hq's etc. stuff like bases on planets with lots of minerals/crystal as a risk/reward thing. It's just so boring right now, kill station, get nothing, kill ships, have so much stuff you're set for life...

Yet again, only SOON will tell...

Reaction score
    I'm thinking dangerous anomalies, nebula's, hostile space fairing creatures would all be a better fit for the void, the void being populated sure does make it less of a void.
    I want dangerous stuff in the void too, as I said above I'd like to see powerful aliens and stuff. But they should still be few and far between. Part of the risk of traveling the void is you wont know if you end up with a very long and boring trip through the vast nothingness, or if you stumble across a 1600 meter long titan that can obliterate you with ease. I'd like it if such aliens would actually roam around, too, so they don't just hang out in a set region. They may even end up wandering into the galaxy proper to cause mayhem. But for the most part I'd like the void to be a void.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like more dangerous sectors, or at least more variation in sectors in general. But one thing I'd like to see in dangerous sectors is pirate cities, hq's etc. stuff like bases on planets with lots of minerals/crystal as a risk/reward thing. It's just so boring right now, kill station, get nothing, kill ships, have so much stuff you're set for life...

Yet again, only SOON will tell...
    SOON.

-2 years later-

SOON.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think it is fine making void sectors dangerous. It makes galaxy travelling only encouraging if your faction is strong enough and is in need of expansion.

Galactic expansion should be something for late game, and currently from what I see, it is growing too fast. I think this is one of the reasons for the massive lag that most populated servers are suffering, in a similar fashion as an average Minecraft server lags when the explored region is too big.

Reaction score
    SOON.

-2 years later-

SOON.
    Honestly Zeno, I'd wait that long for us to get that realistically. For now, we're still only implementing the small stuff, the basic foundations. For a game this good it's hard to believe that.

I think it is fine making void sectors dangerous.
    Of course. But at the same time it'd be nice to have 'dead space' that's truly DEAD. As in, nothing at all...

Varying sectors like trade sectors and warzones would be nice to have to, don't you think.

it is growing too fast.
    A sad reality of a game programmed in Java, this is not much of an issue on C (although it can of course still happen). But still, you need to branch out due to how resource intensive everything in the game is. It's so expensive to even make a semi decent frigate, never mind bases, support ships, capitals etc...so people go far and wide to look for stuff to mine/trade/buy. Then you problems happen...