So bored, reiginite interest in Starmade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Even as somebody in a faction, I agree with the OP. SM has become boring, you can argue that I can create content, as its a sandbox. But without the tools to create that content (or at least a stable enough environment to have a fight) thats pretty hard to do. Last time there was an inter-faction fight, i crashed to desktop..
    I really like starmade, but the game is stagnating, if not more.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You're not alone mate. These updates seem to come out in odd positions.
    Because we first need a universe for the factions to have a use, and I'm just assuming niw that ai will include ai entities, that will in turn have their own faction, whith which you will then later be able to do all sorts of stuff with, like complete missions or trade with them.

Reaction score
    Even with redstone minecraft got really boring really soon. The only thing that kept it alive for me was the amount of mods available. And then they failed to make significant updates. No thanks, give me starmade any time, but not that cheap knockoff of a game called minecraft. Starmade is way superior (and we will eventually be able to create space squids! Yay!). ;)
    exactly my little fluffybunny. as far as im concerned, with the exception of mobs and mods, in terms of gameplay, starmade is already on par with minecraft. there was no over all goal in minecraft other then climbing the tech tree (which i liked how doing so made you explore various biomes and the nether.) and slaying a rather easy dragon. iv been disapointed with that aspect of the game since 1.8 beta which they called "the adventure update" i was like holy sh*t finally something to do! but no, it was just more bells and whistles, (and has been eversince) no adventure stuff at all. so overall minecrafts greatest strength was its block building abilities, and a very basic goal to achive.

now, starmade is basically at the same level as minecraft. but its done things much better. for one, advanced buildmode. after a couple of hours of using it, its almost impossible to go back to the one by one placing as in minecraft.

and secondly both have a very simple "goal" to achieve. in minecraft it was slay the dragon. in starmade its kill a pirate station or two. now granted slaying the dragon was more involved then taking on a pirate station. (all you need is radar jamming and any ship with a weapon can take them on without effort) but the main idea is the same, go kill something.

now apart from killing things starmade needs something else to incentive exploration and various ship designs. one obvious solution that always comes up for this is quests. (you need a ship with of X size and X capabilities and maybe X colors or matireals) but another great incentive for people to go out of their way would be rare loot that is un craftable or purchasable. it would have to be blocks/items with special or rare abilities/properties. or even slightly more powerful forms of current blocks.(unreproducable alien tech?) maybe a shield block that give you twice as many shield as a normal block, or super thursters or power blocks ECT. abuses could be avoided simply by the rarity of these powerful blocks. (all these things have been suggested before, but sometimes it good to go over them again)

and remember balancing should be done form the point of view of creating things in survival. as the vast majority of the ships and titans currently made are OP and unrealistic in how the game would probably play in a finished survival state. many peoples views on what should and shouldn't be OP are skewed because they essentially play in creative mode.

but back on topic with the goals. we have already mentioned "killing things" but honeslty, we need many more things to kill! pirates as is are truly underwhelming. and once you get a radar jammer, they are as harmless as kittens wearing mittens. they should fire blindly with a radar jammer to at least try and hit you randomly (turrets currently do this) and we need more things then just pirates to kill.

i for one would love to see something more of less akin to the borg. a kind of swarm, amorphous, hive kind of species. they should take a que from skylord luke and his copy paste templates idea to make procedurally generated enemy ships! if the procedural generation is done properly and pulls from a sophisticated list of preset parts. (something im sure the master builders would love to help the dev team make) so imagine that appart from dodging pirates (which use the current meathod of blueprint stealing) you sometimes encounter these bizarre aliens with procedural ships (that naturally get bigger and badder the farther from spawn you are) and with faction mechanics then things could get really interesting.

any way, bit of a winded/ranty post, but the main point is that yes, theres a great deal of room for improvment for gameplay elements to the game. but its is all coming! the way i see it, is they have been developing a platform in which to apply gameplay elements into. (something i thought they were doing with minecraft, but they never did) and that they are pretty much forced to add because of the very nature of the things you are required to build in the game. the reason minecraft added a dragon to slay? because you where a guy with basic tech running around with iron Armour and a sword. its was the natural conclusion. in starmade? you make war machines! its only natural they will include various forms of warfare that require much more thinking and planning then simply adding a radar jammer to your ship.

So sit tight guys, the universe revamp is the first step towards the serious gameplay/survival meat of this game that we have all been craving. the schine team is not stupid, and they know what we want. and not only that but they have the pros and cons, successes and failures, of minecraft to help guide them. and im sure schema has a personal goal of wanting to wipe the floor with minecraft eventually. like i said in another thread. we are basically on a rollercoaster ride and we are still inching our way up the first mega drop. or to make a more starmade friendly analogy. think of us as a big rocket sitting on the launch pad, and the countdown has not even started yet. right now everything is being checked and rechecked to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So sit tight guys, the universe revamp is the first step towards the serious gameplay/survival meat of this game that we have all been craving. the schine team is not stupid, and they know what we want. and not only that but they have the pros and cons, successes and failures, of minecraft to help guide them. and im sure schema has a personal goal of wanting to wipe the floor with minecraft eventually. like i said in another thread. we are basically on a rollercoaster ride and we are still inching our way up the first mega drop. or to make a more starmade friendly analogy. think of us as a big rocket sitting on the launch pad, and the countdown has not even started yet. right now everything is being checked and rechecked to make sure it all goes smoothly.
    Yep, you just nailed it!

Reaction score
    The other thing I'm hoping for is an "economy update"; where we get actual resource chains (e.g. resources going from mines to refineries to factories to shops); where players are able to (e.g.) make money mining, transporting goods, running a factory, etc. This would be the next stepping stone towards a quest system; where various (AI and player) factions create jobs that players can do for payment (e.g. "Trading guild offers you 1234 credits to get a shipment of stray goats from planet Foo in the Bar galaxy to their goat processing factory" or "Pirate guild offers you 33333 credits to get their diplomat from pirate base to asteroid mining facility").

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The other thing I'm hoping for is an "economy update"; where we get actual resource chains (e.g. resources going from mines to refineries to factories to shops); where players are able to (e.g.) make money mining, transporting goods, running a factory, etc. This would be the next stepping stone towards a quest system; where various (AI and player) factions create jobs that players can do for payment (e.g. "Trading guild offers you 1234 credits to get a shipment of stray goats from planet Foo in the Bar galaxy to their goat processing factory" or "Pirate guild offers you 33333 credits to get their diplomat from pirate base to asteroid mining facility").
    We are going to get all sorts of noc factions, and they will be able to give us missions. I'm sure that trading will be one of them.

Reaction score
    'it's dying guys, people are losing interest and dropping off!' thread number #233453.

Sorry, but there is only so much the devs can do and there is a limit for how quickly they can do it. Go play something else or dick about on the forums until the game gets some more updates.

This is the issue with 'constant update' games, players play until they get bored and then keep playing with each incremental update. Just do what I do, wait for a while for something interesting to pop up and until then play something else.

You make a good point, but this happens with literally every other early access game I've seen.

Reaction score
    Lurking in thread.
    Anyway, I actually have no idea why I'm so interested in this game. Perhaps it's the promise of an even better future for the game and @Vanhelzing 's New Eden fleetworks series.
    So it's the potential in the game, I guess. Never knew why Starmade stuck with me and Space Engineers / Minecraft / Cubeworld didn't.

Reaction score
    Lurking in thread.
    Anyway, I actually have no idea why I'm so interested in this game. Perhaps it's the promise of an even better future for the game and @Vanhelzing 's New Eden fleetworks series.
    So it's the potential in the game, I guess. Never knew why Starmade stuck with me and Space Engineers / Minecraft / Cubeworld didn't.
    because this game is doing so many things right. and yes, like you said, has so much more potential then practically any other game out there. i for one would be in a major crisis right now with the recent acquisition of minecraft by micro$oft. ( i cant even put into words how much i hate them as a company) as it was the only game iv been able to play since finding it. but now with starmade i just thought it was a funny happening and kept on building my space station. i thought i had fallen in love with minecraft, and i had. but after spending one night with starmade it made me forget about all the past three years i had with minecraft. and now i cant ever go back.

if theres one thing iv learned from @schema, its that he gets it. and i think he gets it a lot more then notch ever did. notch wanted to make a simple game, and accidentally stumbled over a genius concept, that quickly grew beyond his control and scope of vision. from what i can tell with starmade its actually the reverse. schema had been planning this epic game and working on the engine for quite some time, since before minecraft. then minecraft introduced the concept of blocks as the ultimate video game mechanic. and with that the final piece of the puzzle suddenly fell in place in schemas mind. (at least thats what i have understood from reading online)

so to me the greatness of this game comes not only from the block building nature of it. but from that fact that its being developed by a team who really gets the concept of what these games can and should be. and have been proving again and again that they not only "get it" but know how to do it. look at advanced build mode. and the block grouping mechanics of building a functional starship. it may seem like a relatively simple concept, but as far as i know, no one else has done it. and i spent three years as a hardcore nerd/game lover dreaming of something like minecraft in space. i had come up with so many ideas and concepts i hoped i would see in a game someday. and starmade has mechanics much simpler yet more powerful then what i had imagined. that to me really shows genius. as they say, often times the best solution, is the simplest one. but due to its simplicity it can often be the most difficult idea to come up with. because humans have a natural tendency to over complicate and over think things when we like them. i notice it with my music. sometimes ill add way to many effects and instruments and basically destroy the song, simply by unnecessarily complicating it. but if i sit there and remove several things one by one, i end up with something thats over all better, if not simpler.

long live Starmade!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    because this game is doing so many things right. and yes, like you said, has so much more potential then practically any other game out there. i for one would be in a major crisis right now with the recent acquisition of minecraft by micro$oft. ( i cant even put into words how much i hate them as a company) as it was the only game iv been able to play since finding it. but now with starmade i just thought it was a funny happening and kept on building my space station. i thought i had fallen in love with minecraft, and i had. but after spending one night with starmade it made me forget about all the past three years i had with minecraft. and now i cant ever go back.

if theres one thing iv learned from @schema, its that he gets it. and i think he gets it a lot more then notch ever did. notch wanted to make a simple game, and accidentally stumbled over a genius concept, that quickly grew beyond his control and scope of vision. from what i can tell with starmade its actually the reverse. schema had been planning this epic game and working on the engine for quite some time, since before minecraft. then minecraft introduced the concept of blocks as the ultimate video game mechanic. and with that the final piece of the puzzle suddenly fell in place in schemas mind. (at least thats what i have understood from reading online)

so to me the greatness of this game comes not only from the block building nature of it. but from that fact that its being developed by a team who really gets the concept of what these games can and should be. and have been proving again and again that they not only "get it" but know how to do it. look at advanced build mode. and the block grouping mechanics of building a functional starship. it may seem like a relatively simple concept, but as far as i know, no one else has done it. and i spent three years as a hardcore nerd/game lover dreaming of something like minecraft in space. i had come up with so many ideas and concepts i hoped i would see in a game someday. and starmade has mechanics much simpler yet more powerful then what i had imagined. that to me really shows genius. as they say, often times the best solution, is the simplest one. but due to its simplicity it can often be the most difficult idea to come up with. because humans have a natural tendency to over complicate and over think things when we like them. i notice it with my music. sometimes ill add way to many effects and instruments and basically destroy the song, simply by unnecessarily complicating it. but if i sit there and remove several things one by one, i end up with something thats over all better, if not simpler.

long live Starmade!
    Schema just released a new version with another build mode feature that has only ever been partially implemented in a mod for minecraft. He is literally a genius at making this game.

Reaction score
    OMG i know, i was literally just directed by skylord luke himself to watch criss the nightbringers new dev build feature video. holy mother of starmade! i literally was just saying how schema was amazing and he "gets it" and all that jazz, and he goes off and out does him self with something like this xD

this guy is amazing. seriously...respect!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm waiting for the universe update and crafting system to be in full working state before I start playing this game (also finishing the Id list on the wiki first, but that's another story).

But I am telling you know, when I start playing this game again, and I mean really playing, I will be going 'ooooooooh' and 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaah' and 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! A pirate!' all the time.

Although I might wait a tid bit longer (no, I won't!) for the faction update. Or I'll just finally start playing on a server, an RP server even (mushroomfleet?). There I'll go about things my way, building ships with the crafting system, then collecting cash so I can rebuild my ships, etc.

Reaction score
    I think that more AI in single-player would be an improvement but not in multi-player. AI displaces the need for player interaction and that is what StarMade needs most; a large, involved player base. Adjusting prices has helped balance the economy in many servers. They work constantly to make adjustments and use these proprietary settings as a promotional feature. The Orion Services Group relies on barter to encourage player interaction and cooperation. When blocks are too easy to acquire, this is less effective. A well balanced economy is based on supply and demand pricing. Profit from AI entities that comes from an unlimited source hurts that balance.

The bottom line is:
    AI in single player: Good
    AI in multi-player: Bad
    Trade among players: Excellent

Reaction score
    Personally, I think of StarMade as it is now as similar to Minecraft Classic. While the principle concepts are there, the "gameplay" has yet to be implemented. The current setup caters to building (and somewhat to multiplayer), but doesn't have much to hold your attention beyond that.

To be honest, I don't actually play much at the moment due to lack of things to do. However, you can expect a LOT more "gameplay" in the future, things like factions contesting for territory and missions you can take. In short, don't worry; what you want is on its way, it's just important that the foundation of the game is solid before the next parts are added on.

I suggest doing what I do with many other games in development: take a break for a while and come back after a bit of time. By doing this with dozens of games in development, it feels like a nonstop massive update to what I'm playing. It does feel a little less connected to the development process, though. If you find you can't stop coming back to StarMade even though you're trying to wait for updates and more gameplay... well, that's probably a good sign. ;) Sounds like we're doing something right.

I expect to spend more time ingame once I have true foes to face, especially ones who I can feel no remorse in destroying. (It's not nice to blow up the creations of other players, but NPCs don't have feelings. Mwahahahah.) Then I might find myself leading an armada to control sections of the galaxy. StarMade is still in its infancy in many ways, even though it may seem quite impressive to some. (Or many.) What you see now is just the beginning. In the future, I promise you that there will be incentives to do things and advance in the game, fun reasons to keep playing and always more to see or accomplish. If you like what you see now, you'll be in for quite a treat. :D

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    Personally, I think of StarMade as it is now as similar to Minecraft Classic. While the principle concepts are there, the "gameplay" has yet to be implemented. The current setup caters to building (and somewhat to multiplayer), but doesn't have much to hold your attention beyond that.
    He's right, this is exactly right!

The basic core and premise (Presumably) is in the game, but with little to hold. I still troll the forums seeing people's crafts being uploaded but I don't play the game right now. I play War Thunder :D

But when some more fun stuff is added I'll play the game. Right now I'm just fine leaving it and watching the game mature and have bits added to it. And the community too of course :)

Reaction score
    I think that more AI in single-player would be an improvement but not in multi-player. AI displaces the need for player interaction and that is what StarMade needs most; a large, involved player base. Adjusting prices has helped balance the economy in many servers. They work constantly to make adjustments and use these proprietary settings as a promotional feature. The Orion Services Group relies on barter to encourage player interaction and cooperation. When blocks are too easy to acquire, this is less effective. A well balanced economy is based on supply and demand pricing. Profit from AI entities that comes from an unlimited source hurts that balance.
    Imagine a faction of real players with a jump gate to a galaxy that's a very very long way from spawn; who mines raw resources (and has factories producing all the different types of blocks) in that very far away galaxy; and sells their blocks in the "spawn point galaxy"; and creates quests in the "spawn point galaxy" to keep other players entertained. As far as other players (who don't know about the faction's private jump gate or their very far away galaxy) can tell, it seems like the faction is getting resources from "we don't know where".

The trading guild (and pirate guild) would have exactly the same effects on the economy as the faction of real players with their very far away galaxy. The only difference is that the game would optimise it a little - rather than doing a large amount of processing to simulate a very far away galaxy, the game would simply emulate the same end result - a faction that gets resources from "we don't know where".

Basically; if you think the trading guild offering "a fair reward for a reasonable effort" is going to upset your economy, then your economy is broken in the first place.

More importantly; "supply and demand" alone is seriously flawed - without anything to keep it balanced, the inevitable outcome is large factions ripping people off with any of a number of different scams. In the real world we have laws preventing most of the problems (e.g. anti-monopoly laws, fair trading laws, etc). The trading guild serves as an extremely important part of ensuring the economy remains balanced. For example, if a large faction tries to manipulate the market by acquiring all ship cores (to create an artificial supply problem, so that they can sell their cores at extremely inflated prices), then the existence of the trading guild ensures that prices remain within a slightly sane range.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Imagine a faction of real players with a jump gate to a galaxy that's a very very long way from spawn; who mines raw resources (and has factories producing all the different types of blocks) in that very far away galaxy; and sells their blocks in the "spawn point galaxy"; and creates quests in the "spawn point galaxy" to keep other players entertained. As far as other players (who don't know about the faction's private jump gate or their very far away galaxy) can tell, it seems like the faction is getting resources from "we don't know where".

The trading guild (and pirate guild) would have exactly the same effects on the economy as the faction of real players with their very far away galaxy. The only difference is that the game would optimise it a little - rather than doing a large amount of processing to simulate a very far away galaxy, the game would simply emulate the same end result - a faction that gets resources from "we don't know where".

Basically; if you think the trading guild offering "a fair reward for a reasonable effort" is going to upset your economy, then your economy is broken in the first place.

More importantly; "supply and demand" alone is seriously flawed - without anything to keep it balanced, the inevitable outcome is large factions ripping people off with any of a number of different scams. In the real world we have laws preventing most of the problems (e.g. anti-monopoly laws, fair trading laws, etc). The trading guild serves as an extremely important part of ensuring the economy remains balanced. For example, if a large faction tries to manipulate the market by acquiring all ship cores (to create an artificial supply problem, so that they can sell their cores at extremely inflated prices), then the existence of the trading guild ensures that prices remain within a slightly sane range.
    You know this isn't eve? There simply isn't the capacity to scam, and the game does not have enough numbers (on any server) to have an AI economy without players feeling that side of the game is totally out of control. Player trading in this game will likely always remain at minimum levels, for the simple reason that there are AI shops almost everywhere and every player becomes self sustaining after a short while. Large player factions have no meaning, and neither does the economy.