Snipper turrets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi i am trying to build a large Sniper turret for my capital ship. My goal is to have the gun poke down ships from long range so by time they get close to me my missals and Manichean guns can finish the job. My ship is going to run 100% turrets and fighters as its a carrier class. I tried to do a AMC sniper but the boby AI is not to good at aim. so i went with a sniper laser. what i am having trouble doing is finding the right effect for the gun. Id like the gun to take down shields and do damage to armor/ pic off fighters/drones. So far the turrets gun is doing about 15k damage.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    What you can do is increase the AI's default accuracy, which is terrible if you chose easy pirates. Unfortunately the AI accuracy configs are the same for pirates and turrets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I all ready know that, i am not having an aim problem. Id like to know what effect on a lazer will give a good am amount of damage. My turret is doing about 15k and that only kills one block. I tried punch through but that dose not seem to work, only kills one block..

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Beam>Beam is a real short burst, so unless it's large enough to really get the most out of punch through (250mass, ideally a lot more) you would get more out of Explosive.

Beam>Pulse is another you might be interested in, the range is definitely not as good as Beam>Beam, but longer burst and heavier damage meaning it will benefit a lot more from Punch through. Neither are particularly "competetive" as is, but things are likely to change with the Hull/Armor patch, we'll see.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Lasers are buggy at long ranges and have a tendency to pass strait through a target. Cannons or Missiles are your only choice when it comes to ranged weapons right now. I like using explosive and punch on my cannons, punch for higher damage guns and explosive for lower.

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Beam>Beam is a real short burst, so unless it's large enough to really get the most out of punch through (250mass, ideally a lot more) you would get more out of Explosive.

Beam>Pulse is another you might be interested in, the range is definitely not as good as Beam>Beam, but longer burst and heavier damage meaning it will benefit a lot more from Punch through. Neither are particularly "competetive" as is, but things are likely to change with the Hull/Armor patch, we'll see.
    I have a few Canon/Canon/Explosive guns around the ship. I will add a few lock on missiles to the ship for mid-long range. I just wanted a few good Long range guns to kill a frig or two before a group gets to me. Not sure how how many fighters ill have, still updating to the new docking system. I want to have a unloading/ loading rail for the fighters.

Is there any idea what the hull/armor system will be like, and when is it due?

Lasers are buggy at long ranges and have a tendency to pass strait through a target. Cannons or Missiles are your only choice when it comes to ranged weapons right now. I like using explosive and punch on my cannons, punch for higher damage guns and explosive for lower.
    Yes, i think that is whats happening, i tried the turret at point blank range and the laser went strait through my test fighter but at long range it only brakes one block. I kinda wanted lasers do to the more flashy look they give but i will have to build an amc sniper and see what i like. Only if i could make an AMC projectile look bigger.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    For super long range turrets normally a fast lock on missile is the best, though certainly not the most satisfying.
    Apparently giving them a bare bones cannon>beam system will increase the detection range of any AI, not that I can speak for it myself never done it. For small "long range" cannon turrets I've used Cannon>Cannon at a 2;1 ratio, and with enough of them they can actually penetrate deep and often enough to core things outside traditional AMC range (at only 55 mass too). Layering the shots can help too, like putting one firing cannon behind the other, gives it a natural Punch Through, and also makes the shot look larger. On effects I think small (like under 100 mass) rapid fire AMC's and Missile turrets probably benefit more from Overdrive, since they have trouble causing block damage with their DPP (damage per projectile) anyway, and the penetration would be wasted.

A sorting loading rail can definitely be done, not sure the exact circuit but I've been thinking about it
    Assume it uses a button next to a rail before each fighter bay, being activated every time a ship goes over that rail basic, causing a connected flip flop to toggle, causing a second button to toggle and switch the rail allignment for the entry rail to that bay to instead route to the next bay in the line, maybe with a delay somewhere in there so the ship can actually pass the rail to dock/undock before it switches.

Sorry if that's not very easy to understand, or completely wrong lol, at any rate I got the idea from Bench's rail tutorial videos so definitely give those a look if you haven't already.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ya i seen the rail tutorial when the patch came out. After i seen that i wanted cool new turrets and the new rail system will allow me to fit more fighters and organize them. Just need a smarter AI for ships. Id love to have the ability to command fighter wings from my carrier and then call them back when I want them.

I did get done with my AMC sniper (Rail Gun). Tried to run 50% explosive effect then 100%. Then i did the same with Punch and i liked Punch better. The AI has a hard time hitting fighters from 1000m but hits frigs + easy and at 25k damage with 4 guns on the ship they don't last long. Now onto the missiles turrets.

Thanks Az14el