SMEdit

Reaction score
    Hey everyone! I just downloaded SMEdit, as I needed to move a core on one of my ships, but I cannot load the ship. Is this because of the new 32^3 chunk system? Did SMEdit get updated for that? If not does anyone know if an update is planned?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think an update is planned for this year. At least I red that on the dev's forum some time ago. But no release date yet as far as I know just WIP

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    SMedit doesn't seem to have been updated In a fair while

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hey everyone! I just downloaded SMEdit, as I needed to move a core on one of my ships, but I cannot load the ship. Is this because of the new 32^3 chunk system? Did SMEdit get updated for that? If not does anyone know if an update is planned?
    That is a plausible reason. Although i believe a way around it would be to export your ship as a 3d model (which i believe is an obj file type) and then load it into smedit..

Also in case you aren't familiar with how to move the core: Modify > Move and then use Starboard/Port <(left - right) .. Dorsal/Ventral <(up - down) .. Fore/Aft <(front - back) .. Also remember to take the numbers off of the previous direction whenever you move to a new one or it will move the previous indicated meters again.

Reaction score
    That is a plausible reason. Although i believe a way around it would be to export your ship as a 3d model (which i believe is an obj file type) and then load it into smedit..
    How would I go about exporting my ship as a 3D model?

btw, nice WIP ships.
    This is what I'm working on (right), as well as the ship that it is based off of.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    How would I go about exporting my ship as a 3D model?

btw, nice WIP ships.
    This is what I'm working on (right), as well as the ship that it is based off of.
    :eek: I made the one on the left! :D

Edit: To export as a model, when you're inside the core, go to the Catalog tab and there is an option to save blueprint or export 3D Model. Just choose the export 3D model and then go to the folder that all your starmade stuff is saved at and find a folder called, "modelexport". Inside that folder will have another folder saved under whatever you wanted to call it and there will be your .obj of that ship.

Reaction score
    :eek: I made the one on the left! :D

Edit: To export as a model, when you're inside the core, go to the Catalog tab and there is an option to save blueprint or export 3D Model. Just choose the export 3D model and then go to the folder that all your starmade stuff is saved at and find a folder called, "modelexport". Inside that folder will have another folder saved under whatever you wanted to call it and there will be your .obj of that ship.
    Awesome job with the Normandy!

I tried exporting the model as an .obj, but when I tried importing it to SMEdit, I got an error message.
    I guess I can just deal with the current core placement and maybe make an improved version later when SMEdit gets an update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!

I tried exporting the model as an .obj, but when I tried importing it to SMEdit, I got an error message.
    I guess I can just deal with the current core placement and maybe make an improved version later when SMEdit gets an update.
    even as an .obj I think the new block data still has an impact and can't be used. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not. If you really were set on moving the core though, you could easily copy/paste the hull around to do so. yeah it might take a while and depending on the size it might have to be done in pieces, but it all depends on how much it bothers you. I'd move the core of the normandy but the work that has to go into it is what has kept it where it is lol

Reaction score

SMEdit doesn't play nice with .obj files.

One possible "solution" for you might be to reconvert your obj back to SM format with this: binvox to sm3 blueprint (Released)
    I know the author is planning to allow custom core placement, if he hasn't already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    SMEdit isn't launching for me for some reason. I got a fresh install, loaded the .jar file into the starmade folder, and clicked the SMEdit.jar file to launch. The configure screen came up where you choose your texture pack and set the starmade directory location but after pressing apply and then start it gives me nothing. Does anyone know what is happening?