SMEdit Situation

Reaction score
    Hey guys! I downloaded Smedit last night and have been taking a few notes on how it works and the problems it's having. It's especially problematic on my end cause it won't even open itself with IcedTea.

To go ahead and clarify, I do not code a lot and when I do it's usually in Python (A very different language but one that I am quite handy with). But I will try my hand at this, as a learning experience; in the same way that correcting a foreign dictator's speech is a efficient and safe way to immerse yourself in a language for the first time. I'm also trying to balance: sleep, friends, and college work while doing this. Sadly for me, what work I do will probably draw from the first on that list.

I just wanted you guys to know that--though someone will most likely beat me to it by a long shot--I am working on it.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Any update to smedit would be extremely welcome. I don't think any one has tried to fix it yet.

So, by all means, go for it!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know I have a few ships waiting for their core to be moved, I'd certainly appreciate a working version of Smedit.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Indeed though this could find itself better suited in the Mods WIP or third party software section

Reaction score
    The guy that wrote it can't fix it because he hasn't got the info he needs from Schema as yet according to the Smedit thread. Also by your own admission you don't have time to do it. On top of that the developers are putting together their own editor at some point along with the ability to paint ships and move the Core. So bearing all this in mind probably not worth your time but good luck let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
    The guy that wrote it can't fix it because he hasn't got the info he needs from Schema as yet according to the Smedit thread. Also by your own admission you don't have time to do it. On top of that the developers are putting together their own editor at some point along with the ability to paint ships and move the Core. So bearing all this in mind probably not worth your time but good luck let us know how you get on.
    Yea, i would need the block I'ds from the obscurified code, plus a new batch of blocks are about to be added making things difficult. Lastly, the smoothing and softening algorithms would need to be redone to allow for the new wedges. It's been fun so far, but it's starting so seem hopeless as far as its usefulness to others. Especially if the original maker is still on it.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Last I checked, the guy stopped updating because Schema refused to give him the source code to Starmade after rewriting the octree format for ship blueprints.

Reaction score
    The best I could probably do is release a version that can modify ships that are solely composed of hulls and convert .obj files into ships.

Reaction score
    Last I checked, the guy stopped updating because Schema refused to give him the source code to Starmade after rewriting the octree format for ship blueprints.
    Schema complied, but it seems like there were some communication problems and then the SMEdit developer took a vacation (his last post is from the 10th of February and indicated he had trouble finding the time to figure everything out, this is the second to last):
    "Turrents not supported
    Yeah, I didn't get around to supporting turrets. Better to handle that in-game.

Right now development is on hold until I fix the loading of Schema's new data types. He sent me one source file. It wasn't what I asked for. So I've got to sit down, work through it, and work out why he sent me that file instead of the ones I asked for. It would be a lot easier if he just gave me all the code (since I'm now under NDA with him). I've got vacation coming up, so it might be a few weeks before I can tackle it.

Once that's fixed, sure, I might look at turrets. Have you played with the "shape library" feature? I can see a sort of "turret library" that lets you manage your turrets collectively and pick and place them onto your ship..."--jjaquinta; Sat, 01/18/2014 - 03:29

It would be inadvisable to attempt this code editing when the original project creator himself needed direct game source code access just to begin to figure out what to do, especially since you will likely have trouble with the language.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It would be inadvisable to attempt this code editing when the original project creator himself needed direct game source code access just to begin to figure out what to do, especially since you will likely have trouble with the language.
    A real man tries it anyway.

Edit: I'm not sure about green monsters, though.

Reactions: Websterandy42
    Reaction score
    Hey.

I'm a Java developer, I was just pointed at this project by a friend who said it was abandoned. After looking through the repository, I think I'll take a crack at updating it. I'll let you all know how that goes.
    Awesome!

Reactions: Tomino_sama
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hey.

I'm a Java developer, I was just pointed at this project by a friend who said it was abandoned. After looking through the repository, I think I'll take a crack at updating it. I'll let you all know how that goes.
    StarMade/data/config/BlockTypes.properties

As far as I can tell, the block IDs in the game's code are no longer maintained and only there for legacy reasons.

A parser for StarMade files would be easily adjusted, too. See my post on the old site.

I have been an active Supporter of Smedit since i started last summer. I was going to look into this (updating for basic functionality) although I am not experienced with how this is written, I spoke with Jo many times throughout these past months promoting the tool both independantly and pro-actively. I am eager to see this completed, I would be eager to retain my involvement to that capacity.

If any of you have already organised, Please get in touch on [email protected]

I am looking to provide support to a coding team that might work on updating this Tool. I can offer all the documenting as in news coverage, blog posts, social media shares and other promotional videos for the Tool. As I have already there would be tutorials on installation, use and basic troubleshooting.

I run weekly showcases on Smedit Builds in the Hall of Smedit Feature. I invite those people to join us at the Lineup Review each week.

If you don't know me, please check out our Starmade Community :D

Reactions: Claru
    Reaction score
    Kovu I'd be willing to help out with this in about 2 weeks when classes get out. Let me know if you'd like help.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I'm almost done with a very very dirty edit that allows for the basic functionalities of importing .obj files and core movement on ships without new blocks. Its written mostly in bash but I was going to convert it to java for simplicity and cross compadibility.

I doubt I would be of much help seeing that you know what you are doing, but let me know if you do!
    Also, I’m not sure how long the jo_ content will stay on that repository. You may need to package it with Smedit or find a different site to host it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like smedit to be officially supported or even these functions being included in the game itself as it has a better performance (block count or proportions, block selection, ...)

I see no reason why we should not be allowed to edit hull surfaces as rgb-channels image with common graphic software tools, just the rgb color actually being a block.

Reaction score
    Some of it could be implemented in game, though schema has said he doesn’t think core moving will work.

But for your second point, block id's are assigned a colour through the texture pack template. So editing them in game would need to dynamically change the texture pack and changing the colour of one block id would also change the colour of all blocks of that id. He could overhaul the system and use a hex value to determine the colour, but that would greatly increase the number of calculations performed because I think you would have to add 24 extra bits of data to every block.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    "He could overhaul the system and use a hex value to determine the colour, but that would greatly increase the number of calculations performed because I think you would have to add 24 extra bits of data to every block"

That is as it was stated in the first Q&A if I can recall correctly. Being able to color blocks any color will make large ships impossible, the best we can hope for is additional colors with their own unique block ids. Of course there is nothing to say we can't get a method to paint blocks any available color in build mode, all you have to do is have the game change the ID of the blocks you are painting.

Reaction score
    Of course there is nothing to say we can't get a method to paint blocks any available color in build mode, all you have to do is have the game change the ID of the blocks you are painting.
    I hope so, this would be very useful.