Smedit help

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    So I just created an OBJ file of a ship in my built in 3D builder program on my laptop. I got to upload it onto SMedit and it says something about illegal shapes and triangles. Someone help me out?

Attachments

Reaction score
    I would guess the model has shapes in it SMedit doesn't like and you will need to use a 3D modelling program to clean it up to be compatible with smedit. Maybe try opening it in something like Blender which is free, and re-exporting it. Also check the model for any errors in the programs before exporting them.

Some models can do different shape polygons on the model and some programs like them a certain way, e.g they may not like triangles and need quadrilaterals to function correctly. Also if a model has holes in it, SMedit can spaz out, especially the hollow function, as it will not be able to tell the inside from the outside.

In these kinds of cases I'd recommend doing a web search. Lots of info on these kinds of things out there ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also if a model has holes in it, SMedit can spaz out, especially the hollow function, as it will not be able to tell the inside from the outside.
    Why?

It just needs to search for top-most / bottom-most blocks in each axis' cross-section. These blocks can be outside.
    That doesn't work on all shapes, but for the most shapes it fixes the problem.

Reaction score
    Why?

It just needs to search for top-most / bottom-most blocks in each axis' cross-section. These blocks can be outside.
    That doesn't work on all shapes, but for the most shapes it fixes the problem.

Yes it does search from top to bottom, and when it hits a hole from experience it will just keep consuming memory until it crashes.
    Also I did state Why?, heck you even quoted it o_O

You have a hole and it is no longer an enclosed object with an inside and an outside, but an object with 2 sides so SMedit doesn't know which side to hollow out and chucks a fit.

Maybe Bobby Bighoof found a way to fix it? Or he can confirm what I am saying. I'll admit it has been a couple of months since I have used the program so maybe it has changed
    Other option is load up a model with a hole in it and try it yourself.