SMEdit and Steam

Reaction score
    Hey guys
    I watched the tutorial by Mushroomfleet on installing SMEdit and followed the instructions but when I open the Starmade folder it is empty.

This folder is right there in the roaming folder along with all my other games but it is empty and placing the SMEdit jar file there and clicking it does nothing. Is this perhaps because I purchased the game from Steam? Was the game never actually installed on my pc?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    All games installed by steam end up in Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common for me. I don't use steam, so I don't know where it is, but if you get the News screen part of the launcher, you can go to options > install settings to see where it is installed.

Also, SMedit as shown in MF is probably outdated af. I don't know how old the video guide you saw was though.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Can you find the Starmade launcher? It is entirely possible that Steam installed it to a different location. You can check through the launcher under the options menu.

As for smedit, it is likely you saw an out of date video. Smedit is not necessarily fully functional right now. Only a few people have gotten it working as of late. The last I heard, you can search for smedit on github. Apparently the version found there worked for someone. I personally downloaded smedit from the smedit website. You have to create an account and its a bit dumb about it but my copy works.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    To make it just as easy on steam you can right click StarMade in your library and click on properties, go over to local files and click the top one. Its just a bit easier I think.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    currently, because it is very outdated, smedit can only be used to import certain 3D models to starmade.
    Though not all models always work.
    It should also still be able to use some of the older blueprints but those after a certain update cannot be read by the program.

If you can get the program to run then you can certainly import MC schematics

Reaction score
    You guys were right, it was in program files. I have no idea why there were files in roaming.
    It worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Chriss, I was inspired to get into StarMade because of your EVE ships.
    Thanks for all your great work on the ships and the vids as well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Criss

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The folder in roaming is where the settings for the starter is found, so that if you have multiple launchers, they all have the same settings. It also is where the encrypted uplink file is kept, again so that all copies of the game on your PC have access too it.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hey sorry for the late replay to this. I am the current main dev for the SMEdit application.

The application does work but is not fully 100% up to date to the game. I had a bit of an issue that caused me to be off line for over 6 months and then I needed to take care of my own game community and server that I maintain.

I promise to get back to work SMEdit very soon in the coming months and to bring it back up to speed to the game.

Thanks for the support and continued interest in the application.
    Bobbybighoof lead developer, smedit.co

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hey sorry for the late replay to this. I am the current main dev for the SMEdit application.

The application does work but is not fully 100% up to date to the game. I had a bit of an issue that caused me to be off line for over 6 months and then I needed to take care of my own game community and server that I maintain.

I promise to get back to work SMEdit very soon in the coming months and to bring it back up to speed to the game.

Thanks for the support and continued interest in the application.
    Bobbybighoof lead developer, smedit.co
    please, just make it capable of loading current ships. i will be so happy if i could switch colours with the press of a few buttons :3