Smart Jump Drive

Reaction score
    I was using jump drive to try and get back to a gate. (I had accidentally broken the computer and needed to re-mark it.) However, along the way, I crossed the path of a few stars and ended up dying and losing my ship. I think there should be a feature to try and avoid 'sunny' sectors while jumping around. If your destination is a sunny sector, it would still jump them there. This would only apply to when the waypoint is out of range, and the jump drive can only cover part of the distance.

Reactions: Mariux

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. That's really annoying and dangerous.

Reaction score
    I argue against this. In almost all 'jump drive' related science fiction you have to properly plot a course to travel to ensure you don't fly through a star (StarGate Universe being pretty much the only one that doesn't!).
    All because you're lazy and want to set your destination and go in a straight line to it doesn't mean Schema should burn precious man-hours coding in logic to achieve it!
    Take your time, plan your routes.

~CR~

Reaction score
    Perhaps this would give rise to a specific navigation computer?

Reaction score
    I agree if we have to plot our course give us a navigation computer to do so. Other wise have a jump drive that dose not send us into a star. The computer could allow us to change the jump distance on our route so that we can make a section shorter to avoid a star. And remember in thous shows they had navigation computers which did the course for you.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    You already have an interactive 3D navigation map that allows you to plot a course and then displays it. What more do you need? warning lights coming up before you make any mistake? I prefer to have even these minute challenges with consequences in games over one-click easy-mode quick-time events. The only addition I could support might be being able to set several sequential waypoints at once in the current system but that is quite unnecessary at this time.

Avoiding stars on long trips is also incredibly easy as the starts are all arranged in a perfect grid. There is no need to travel through the center of any sector.

Reaction score
    I thought the jump drive only went in a straight line. From what I am reading, it looks like you can change the path. How do I do this?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418256742,1418256690][/DOUBLEPOST]If it is possible to make the jump drive take a 'crooked' route, then I think Sha3es's solution would be the best. You can plot your own course, or buy a computer to do so for you.

Reaction score
    Jump drives work in a straight line ,however, it does not have to be only travel on the x-axis or only travel on the y-axis or only travel on the z-axis . Distance per jump is limited to a certain number of sectors. Calculate the distance of jump target using the differences of your start and end points with this x² + y² + z²= √J ( J being the distance in sectors). On the galaxy map you can see the pathway that you would travel in real space as well as where you might jump by using "plot to current"( nav point -> is set either w,a,s,d traveled to on the map or typed into nav )

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I thought the jump drive only went in a straight line. From what I am reading, it looks like you can change the path. How do I do this?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418256742,1418256690][/DOUBLEPOST]If it is possible to make the jump drive take a 'crooked' route, then I think Sha3es's solution would be the best. You can plot your own course, or buy a computer to do so for you.
    You will jump in a straight line from the point you are facing as long as you do not have a waypoint selected. If you select a waypoint (from the galaxy map that comes up from pressing "P") or manually type a waypoint in to the navigation tab - you will automatically jump in a straight line towards that point regardless of the direction you're facing.

I agree with a few others in this string - set a waypoint with the galaxy map that doesn't intersect stars -- jumping without a waypoint charted should be inherently risky ;)

Mr V <--- ironically jumped into a star while trying to avoid dying from star related damage after exiting (and hurriedly re-entering) a ship to loot a pirate station near a red giant a few weeks ago... my internal camera couldn't see the star due to the "glass not showing stars and various other items" through it bug and I chose the wrong direction to jump :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You are able to change your nav point at roughly any time or you may just travel in real space to the next few sectors or so to change your pathway a bit to avoid stars, pirate bases, etc.... Star systems are laid out in a grid, of the same size 16 sectors by 16 sectors, with stars at the center; as such, a star will likely be at any point where all three coordinates are divisible by 8 or 16. A sequential way point system like Crashmaster said would be a nice little extra , as well as a list of favorite nav points.