Smallest turret / weapon effects...questions!?

Reaction score
    Could someone show me or teach me how to make the smallest possible fully rotatable turret dock / turret?

At the moment...I am starting with an turret axis that is flush with the deck...then, on top...going with a rail docker and core and from here...setting up the vertical rotation...seems to make me have do all sorts of weird designs that end up huge as heck.

Is it possible to only have a 2 block high 3 block long fully rotatable turret base / turret?

Also, are support systems stackable?

Is a long range lock on swarm missile system possible?

I know missile+missile is swarm...but can that be expanded further? How are those designed / connected?

I want a long range lock on swarm missile turret XD

Also, I've seem what seems to look like nukes that leave huge holes in planets...are those just a weapon system combined and boosted with effects / support systems?

Good weekend everyone and thanks!

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Please give more info on the turret you are seeking. Do you intend to make a PD turret and just need it as small as possible or do you want the whole rotation mechanism itself to be as small as possible. (In which case the smallest I know is 2 high, 1 long and 3 wide for all practical purposes.
    1. Support system do not stack you can only have 1 and they cannot be shared.
    2. The closest you can get to a long range lock on swarm is to give a lock on missile lots of outputs (Warning this incurs a power increase penalty)
    3. Missile/Missile is proportional to the effect, if you have a tiny support system then you get a single heat-seeker instead of lots, if the ratio is 50% you get half as many missiles and so on.
    4. Not gonna happen though with AI being what it is you could give it lots of normal lock on missiles using seperate computers for each one to avoid the power penalty as AI can lock and fire them all at once.
    5. The nukes are missile/pulse possibly with the explosive tertiary effect.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There is a way to stack passives like Ion, Punch-Through, Pierce and it uses multiple docked entities to create a chain hit when an attack hits. Basically each entity takes a portion of the hit for the others. When done right it can reduce the damage to nearly 0 but it has a major drawback and that is both the cost to implement it and it can be totally taken out by shear volume of shots fired.

This was being talked about in chat a few days ago and I'm not sure if there's any forum or content posts about it.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    There is a way to stack passives like Ion, Punch-Through, Pierce and it uses multiple docked entities to create a chain hit when an attack hits. Basically each entity takes a portion of the hit for the others. When done right it can reduce the damage to nearly 0 but it has a major drawback and that is both the cost to implement it and it can be totally taken out by shear volume of shots fired.

This was being talked about in chat a few days ago and I'm not sure if there's any forum or content posts about it.
    This doesn't actually work for Punch-Through or Pierce passives as they simply increase the damage required to break the block rather than reducing the oncoming damage by a percentage.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

I did some testing and couldn't get it to work. :/

Also, OP
    You may have one slaved weapon system, and one slaved effect system. 0-1 of each. Not two of any.

You might be looking for Missile+Damage Pulse+Explosive effect with like a few thousand modules in each to make a supernuke like you describe.

Also yes, it is very much so possible. Mine are a bit bulky and dont have a full 360 degree movement up and down, but it is only 2 blocks tall, so give it some credit. same with a 3 block tall one that I made to look like the side of the AT-AT's guns from starwars.

Not very strong, but oh well. For really big turrets I make turret wells like battleships had to slot the turret structure into the hull, drastically reducing the profile at the expense of complexity and main ship volume.
    So yeah, sink part of the turret into the hull, works well.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447486693,1447485102][/DOUBLEPOST]
    (wow these are old images... I never finished that yellow ship)

As you can see, much space, such wow.

Ah, a more recent example of not-quite ball turrets: oscillating turret designs

As you can see, it tries to look good while not obstructing itself too much. I tried to cram as many darn weapon modules on that as possible, and made the barrels plenty big. This version is a Cannon Beam Ion, with a staggered reload of a few miliseconds (each barrel has its own computer) so when it fires it stagger fires like Pew-Pew. I like the effect, reminds me of starwars more.

(outdated design is outdated, actually its going through a refit right now. But these are the pic's I have)

In my attempt to cram as much stuff as possible in that, armor doesn't cover everything.

Now a above and below shot:

And a exploded view that when I look back on it, I fucked up. Ah well, I might have the blueprint somewhere though:

Also, probably one of the smallest turret types you can get, these little yellow point-defense guys:

The turret in the center with 1 barrel is actually anti-astronaut, but the rest are anti-missile. The slightly bigger ones have cannon-cannon, cannon+beam, and cannon+missile, as well as just cannon, in double rows of stacked outputs. The cannon+missile is their because flavor and why not, but the cannon+beam actually works quite nice. Doesn't hit often, but with a lot of them, you can start to thin out a missile swarm at triple the range. Also works good in fleet support, shooting down missiles that are targeting allies away from you.

But anyways, those little guys are only like 2 blocks tall, and kinda look like deck machine guns on old ships, which is what I was going for.

Reactions: Panpiper