Small Ship Competition!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    It was just that "everyone is entitled to their opinion" part that ticked me off. Besides, I just proved with facts that the weapon you described doesn't work so well in practice.
    My single player universe has it's max speed set to 300. But when I link 1 Missile Tube to 1 Damage Pulse Module, and get a 100% ratio, the missile's speed is 401.3. I think you need to double check your maths, or go into the game do exactly what I just did.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WaffulMann

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    My single player universe has it's max speed set to 300. But when I link 1 Missile Tube to 1 Damage Pulse Module, and get a 100% ratio, the missile's speed is 401.3. I think you need to double check your maths, or go into the game do exactly what I just did.
    I was mistaken on that part then (or the weapon tab's display is broken, well, more than it already is). But still, a fighter with overdrive (every fighter should have overdrive), will easily outrun the missile. And then you're stuck with a 90 second reload.

Honestly, it's a tactic. But to call it overpowered and unfair would be to ignore the drawbacks and just looking at the raw damage output.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I was mistaken on that part then (or the weapon tab's display is broken, well, more than it already is). But still, a fighter with overdrive (every fighter should have overdrive), will easily outrun the missile. And then you're stuck with a 90 second reload.

Honestly, it's a tactic. But to call it overpowered and unfair would be to ignore the drawbacks and just looking at the raw damage output.

It only requires 4 blocks: 2 computers and 2 weapon modules. You can literally have multiples of these to remedy the side effect of a long reload.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It only requires 4 blocks: 2 computers and 2 weapon modules. You can literally have multiples of these to remedy the side effect of a long reload.
    Why don't you try it out against a fighter piloted by a competent player? :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I just finished designing my mk1 fighter.
    I wish you had set a block limit instead of making it 7x7x7. My creativity was severely stunted. I decided to make a FragCube fighter.

Reaction score
    I wish you had set a block limit instead of making it 7x7x7. My creativity was severely stunted.
    That is exactly what I said! These cube dimension limits just force pple to build small doom cubes, as I did (/DC stands for doom cube)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    and a doomcube won't get selected because they ugly.
    try designing a ship, not just a weapon system. The whole package needs offense, defense and aesthetics.
    it's a SMALL ship competition. you wanna show off your big ships get into a mushroomfleet line up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I built a ship with what I thought were going to be aesthetics, trying to utilize the 7 units up, and 7 units out each direction, it doesn't look good in any form IMO unless you base your design on a TIE fighter offshoot like some did. I don't want to build a big ship, I just don't want to build a good looking ship that isn't going to get creamed by the fatter TIE fighter version. You could say, Maximum length or width of say, 12, with a 350 block count max for class 1. 7x7x7 = 343 blocks. 11x11x11 = 1331 blocks, and 15x15x15 = 3375 blocks. Set one maximum dimension if you want to have them fit inside a certain docking area, but the block limits will make it more fair and give you better results.

Or, you could keep the dimensions as you have now, and then reduce the maximum block count to a percentage of the total volume (which might disqualify some current entries). But either way, you'll have better LOOKING ships that will for all intents and purposes have an equal fighting chance based on the builder's skill.

I know there's no prize, but I really want to show off my skillz on this competition. I don't want to have a rubber ducky looking bathtub ship, or a tie fighter cube.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Look up the scavenger in the community content. I based the design on a Volkswagen beetle. And you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    @jath I'm pretty sure that the "fat tie fighter" thing was addressed at me. I'd just like to let you know that this is the ~6th version of a ship I originally based off the drones in the movie "Oblivion" (it doesn't even look like the original version anymore). I honestly didn't even think of a tie fighter while making this one (it only VERY vaguely shares the shape).

If you think that I need to copy existing designs in order to have something that looks nice then you're SERIOUSLY mistaken. And honestly, it's pretty insulting.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    @keptick
    You misunderstood my post. I wasn't putting down your ship in any way. It doesn't look like a TIE fighter, but it was only built in a similar pattern. It looks like what it is, a swarm drone. It doesn't look like a manned fighter. I wanted to build a manned fighter.

And in actuality, I wasn't referring to your build either. I just so happened to have been looking at a tie fighter about 30 minutes before I made the post and noted that it would fit nicely in a cube.

There's no reason to be insulted. I actually like your build. I just wanted to do something completely different than I can do in that shape without completely nerfing my build. The competition is on style. Some styles naturally take up more volume with equal amounts of dimensions on each side. Mine do not. it would fit better in a 5x7x10 (which is only 7 blocks higher volume, which I would happily adjust for)

Assuming most acceptable builds take up only 75% of the allowed volume (for aesthetic purposes) that could be adjusted too.

I'm only saying the box you're allowing the build in is restricting design too much. You have to either move the slider all the way to "pretty" or all the way to "fightworthy" and anything in between will be neither. changing to a block limit would allow the slider to approach the middle, which is what I believe the competition is about.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    *Impersonates Professor Farnsworth* Good News everyone!

Starfeed just did a promo for this competition!

Check it out here. (if the video doesn't start at the promo its at 34:15)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Next Stafeed will talk about the faction skirmish set to take place on the 27th. Interested in playing? Join a faction!