small beams, 2nd/effect?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am building a small gunship and I included 6 damage beams to deal with small crafts/ground targets. each of the 6 beams has 8 modules. what secondary computer and effect should I use?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At only 8 modules, its unlikely that the beam is really going to do enough damage to do much, so you'll likely want to go for maximum damage output.

So I'd say Beam/Pulse/Overdrive.

Reaction score
    And if you miss you'll go for a long reload time. What about cannon/overdrive ?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And if you miss you'll go for a long reload time. What about cannon/overdrive ?
    He said he's got 6 beams. He can't fire them all at once so the cycle time shouldn't be much of an issue.

Block destruction is the name of the game, and no way an 8/8/8 beam/cannon/overdrive will destroy anything without prolonged fire on the same block, which is incredibly unlikely to happen if either him or the target is moving.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Beams are broken due to a bug. You require literally five times more blocks for a beam weapon than you do a cannon weapon if you want to be able to break armor blocks. Even a beam/pulse/overdrive weapon would need nearly 200 blocks to be able to break reinforced advanced armor, which in my opinion is the target one must aim for in terms of damage.

If the OP has LOTS of power generation, they could be advised to go for 12/12/12 cannon/beam/overdrive which would do the trick with as few as 36 blocks, but 8/8/8 is too small regardless of the combo.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    He said he's got 6 beams. He can't fire them all at once so the cycle time shouldn't be much of an issue.

Block destruction is the name of the game, and no way an 8/8/8 beam/cannon/overdrive will destroy anything without prolonged fire on the same block, which is incredibly unlikely to happen if either him or the target is moving.
    Beams are broken due to a bug. You require literally five times more blocks for a beam weapon than you do a cannon weapon if you want to be able to break armor blocks. Even a beam/pulse/overdrive weapon would need nearly 200 blocks to be able to break reinforced advanced armor, which in my opinion is the target one must aim for in terms of damage.

If the OP has LOTS of power generation, they could be advised to go for 12/12/12 cannon/beam/overdrive which would do the trick with as few as 36 blocks, but 8/8/8 is too small regardless of the combo.
    I'm finding that even six lines of 8/8/8 beam/pulse/overdrive is having difficulty breaking through hull. I'll up it to 12, and if that doesnt work, just use cannons.

thanks for the help everyone!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm finding that even six lines of 8/8/8 beam/pulse/overdrive is having difficulty breaking through hull. I'll up it to 12, and if that doesnt work, just use cannons.

thanks for the help everyone!
    Yeah, you're going to want it to where each shot/tick can break at least one block of your desired type. Because if you don't break the block outright, all you've done is scratch their armor hp, you haven't actually damaged the ship itself in any way.

So say you're designing a weapon you want to use against pirates. Isanths have standard armor and no passives.

Standard Armor has 100 hp, and 60% armor. And as long as the target has any armor hp, all block damage is cut in half (after the armor % reduction is applied).

So to destroy a Standard Armor block in one hit, you start with the 100 hp. The 60% reduction means you have to do 250 damage to destroy the block (because only 40% of the damage makes it through, and 250*0.4=100). Now double that to destroy the block in one hit while the ship still has armor hp left (because armor hp cuts the damage in half). So you need your weapon to do 500 damage per shot. That will ensure that every single shot fired will destroy at least one piece of armor on your standard Isanth.

And if memory serves, base weapon output is 10 damage per module per shot, that means you need 50 cannon modules in order to get the desired output without using tertiary blocks.

At least I think thats right, its early and I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm just doing napkin math here.