Implemented Slow Your Roll

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Holding shift decreases your forward momentum (aka, puts on the brakes), it doesn't decrease your angular moment. Aka, when you do a roll, the only way to stop is to either let it slow down on it's own, or hit the button to roll the opposite direction.

When you're trying to align to something small, there is no way to fine tune it, you're pretty much always going to overshoot your roll.

Pretty basic request. Have Shift "brake" your angular momentum as well as your linear momentum.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd still like it so slow down rotation as well though.

Reaction score
    Holding shift decreases your forward momentum (aka, puts on the brakes), it doesn't decrease your angular moment. Aka, when you do a roll, the only way to stop is to either let it slow down on it's own, or hit the button to roll the opposite direction.

When you're trying to align to something small, there is no way to fine tune it, you're pretty much always going to overshoot your roll.

Pretty basic request. Have Shift "brake" your angular momentum as well as your linear momentum.
    I like this, I think it would help with randomly spinning out of control when moving in tight spaces.

Bonus points for the title.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    rebind V to Shift, so when you need to break you also stop rolling as well.

If you need to press C to realign, press it after you are holding shift then because if you press C then press shift it cancels the realignment.

Also holding Ctrl and moving your mouse around like you are turning rolls your ship.

I think the thing to fix is not the gameplay, but the way information is presented.
    You really need to bend over backwards and go out of your way to just simply learn all the movement buttons in this game, it needs some sort of better documentation.

Reaction score
    No, first you need to turn clockwise using a special mouse binding, and grab a precision calculator, type in the axis numbers you wish to roll into the calculator, using tangent to Y formula. Then hold it above your head (this step is important and easiest to do). After this make sure you face north in your desk chair. NOW hold V and then rebind C on the fly using an external program that will do a backtrace to your wifi calculator to pull the new calculation for rotation. Which then effortlessly makes your ship roll smoothly in the manner you want.

I mean its that easy why are you asking for better UI features that does what you can do already?

On a serious note, I agree, the rotation by 'key' in this game is way off. I can never touch them as I fling my ships in circles. Even if I try to lightly tap, I end up 90 degrees... and this is even in big and small ships. I have to use the clumsy "hold-alt then move mouse side to side" to roll at a more reasonable rate. But thats thumb-wrenching for me, as I use 'space' to move laterally upwards... thus making me unable to go up, AND roll at the same time.

Anyhow, I support any feature request which softens the roll issue in this game with keys.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So, um... why isn't this tagged as implemented, keptick? We have the 'V' key already, and people can rebind it to shift if they want to have both of those controls bound to the same thing for some bizarre reason (why would you want to stop rotating and movement at the same time, every time, is beyond me.)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So, um... why isn't this tagged as implemented, keptick? We have the 'V' key already, and people can rebind it to shift if they want to have both of those controls bound to the same thing for some bizarre reason (why would you want to stop rotating and movement at the same time, every time, is beyond me.)
    hmmmmm? w-what are you talking about?

Reaction score
    Roll in this game is junk. And there needs to be a way to make it actually viable via a method of slower spin rate or better control. The 'rotation' setting in thruster tuning does nothing in this regard, and there isn't a modifier key (say shift) to cause a slower roll rate either.

Binding v to the same thing? What the hell are you guys on? Do you honestly play this game jerking and jinking your ships in instant rolls to 'auto-align' with random objects in space? Clearly no one has played any other space flight based game if thats the case...

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It is already in game, but it is useful....

as fish on dry

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Binding v to the same thing? What the hell are you guys on? Do you honestly play this game jerking and jinking your ships in instant rolls to 'auto-align' with random objects in space? Clearly no one has played any other space flight based game if thats the case...
    The OP suggested that a break for rotation be bound to the same key for breaking linear momentum. We responded with, "if you want that, rebind the rotation break to the linear break." Not really sure what you're going on about here.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    The OP suggested that a break for rotation be bound to the same key for breaking linear momentum. We responded with, "if you want that, rebind the rotation break to the linear break." Not really sure what you're going on about here.
    Maybe he doesn't know the key for smooth rolling? If he is just using z and x, then yeah, he would be having a bad time and it would make sense to complain, the torque those keys have is insane.