Slow Performance in Combat

Reaction score
    So, I'm having an ongoing issue where my game gets slow and laggy in combat. Specifically, after I successfully damage an enemy ship. I think the problem is related to block destruction, or the block destruction animation (where each destroyed block breaks into a bunch of little orange wedges before disappearing). I see that animation spreading through the damaged ships over and over again, even long after I have stopped firing. I'll even see blocks breaking apart over and over again long after the ship itself has overheated, timed out, and disappeared. (And this is all just in singleplayer.)

I don't know if this is a common bug, an issue just for me, or if I just messed up some setting in one of the .cfg files.

My game is configured in line with Luke's recommended slow computer settings (even though its not that crappy of a PC) but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
    Sequential destruction of blocks is lag-preventing mechanism. It is done to prevent crashing everyone's game by destroying many blocks at once and lagging the hell out of CPUs trying to animate that thing.
    It is also a reason why you see blocks disappearing so slow when mining lots of blocks at once. Had they been processed in real time, it would possible to lock any server by building big-ass miner and mining so fast the server wouldn't be capable of catching up with.
    To be fair it's still possible, but that's another story: instead of sending packets slowly, you send them all together and a server tries to put your request of mining in queue. I hope you can see what's wrong here: you send lots of packets AT ONCE. So that's a cause of lagging of servers during large-scale mining.

As for lagging in battles, the issue seems to be related to amount of projectiles and entities flying around. Missiles are the worst offender as they are quite persistent yet usually you can see hundreds of missiles flying around. This is a huge issue as for me.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You can turn those little fragments off in the options menu.