Slip Space Drive & Portals

Reaction score
    so your Ship would enter slip space kind of thing allowing the ship to travel REALLY FAST but, physics does not work properly and could make it hard and confusing to navigate, also some displacement when exiting say you spawn back into real space but 1-500 metres from where you should have. The reason to make navigation and such hard is because otherwise it would just be easy. Also maybe like a 1 in 10000 chance of the Slipspace drive blowing a massive hole in your ship every time you start it up.

Also, portals, simply make a square using portal blocks of sorts. Each portal would be linked to a channel like have two portals on channel A, 2 portals on channel b, so on so forth.

What do you think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A portal should be much harder to use and set up, maybe requiring its power.Slip-space would just be like a portal anyways, maybe a combination of the 2 like in Spaz? Building a gate, powering it by firing a beam into it or simply activating it with the docking beam, then you go through it and in a matter of seconds you arrive at the other side.

My take would be that you have to create a big gate (spaz-style) and add a reactor to it as it would require a lot of power. Linking 2 gates would require them to be the same equal size (only the gate, not the reactor or any add-ons) AND a special sort of setting or code that maybe you put in a computer-y block or put down as symbols (stargate style).

This means you would could easily set up fast travel routes in a universe that\'s very old (the way I understand you need to explore more parts of the universe to get access to the newer updates when your universe was made with an older update). So you can still have a base on a planet or a station but you won\'t need to abandon it eventually anymore.

Reaction score
    i can see this in the far future.

for now, i\'m sure the devs have much more important matters.

bug stomping before content.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am not overly fond of portals in any role beside being some sort of Eve-esque jump gates to throw ships across distances it would take horribly long time to get to or which are completely inaccessible through any other way but the portal (another reference - Minecraftish Nether). Other than that, even for relatively long distances, I think people should just use conventional drives. Ships fly quite fast anyway.