slight thrust change for slightly better movement?

Reaction score
    simply put, i want to explore the possibility of more configurable thrust settings.
    right now, you can customize the thrust power by changing the ratio of thrust between:

1)forward/backward
    2)left/right
    3)up/down
    4)turn rate

i say we instead have 7 things we can change. the changeable thrust settings should be:

1)forward
    2)backward
    3)left
    4)right
    5)up
    6)down
    7)turn rate

why make this change? simple: this will make it so ships can be a little more fun to fly.
    as it is now, anytime you are flying around blindly, looking for something to do or fight or look at or build in or whatever, you can be safe in the fact that you can just go backwards and start shooting if you see anything try to attack you. now, there is nothing wrong with this, however i think players that want to have to use more crazy flight paths should be able to.
    for example:

someone sets there settings to 20% turn, 70% forward, and 10% everything else. if they get into combat and need to move around in crazy paths to avoid fire, they will need to turn, then start to move in that direction, before turning again to move in another direction. and if they want to flee, they will need to turn there guns (if they have any none turret guns) away from the ship they are fighting, to accelerate away from from it.

without this type of change, this type of movement will not be possible. yes, you can still go crazy on one or two types of movement, however, you still have two directions you can fly in quickly (at least), well this system can give as low as one.

i know this is not that big of a change, however it would let people have the fighters (or ships that can only move going sideways, or ships that just to the right or whatever you can think of) they have always wanted, without making it hard to have ships that can go in any direction at will.

besides, Starmade is a game about creating ships, and doing things with the ships you make. I don't like how limiting it is to have things like forward and backward linked like they are.

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    i like the idea, but i feel like turn rate does need to be split up to pitch, yaw and roll.
    to add to that, instead of a set of sliders the directional thrust ratios should be based on the amount of thrusters pointing in that direction (like adding sideways pointing thrusters to increase strafe speed).

Reactions: winggar

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    i like the idea, but i feel like turn rate does need to be split up to pitch, yaw and roll.
    to add to that, instead of a set of sliders the directional thrust ratios should be based on the amount of thrusters pointing in that direction (like adding sideways pointing thrusters to increase strafe speed).
    I know roll was calculated on mass of the ship, not sure if it still is, and back near the start of Starmade or at the beginning, putting sideways pointing engines to increase strafe was a thing. :)