Slavage beam vein mining.

Reaction score
    How much rage will this get me? Please note that this is a random idea and I don't have anything set in stone.

Lets say you have a salvage group of more than twenty blocks(20 is the point where it mines a block per tick, any more modules added on are useless).

When shot at an entity with less than 200(?) mass(blocks?), ship or asteroid, instead of mining the block it hits to 200 mining points, then salvaging that block, it would mine every block on the entity at once, to 300(?) hitpoints per block. Once it mined the entire thing it would salvage it all at once.

This would make large scale asteroid mining a lot less difficult and laggy for players(remember the mining jump drive effect?), but would not make it faster. It would take longer to mine the whole thing at once than mining it block by block, but would be a lot cleaner and would mean less salvaging bricks. It could be used for battle clean up, and would look awsome.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jayman38

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, I think this is what we need to make truly large single-salvage-groups viable. However, I don't think it needs to be limited to cannon-linked (or otherwise continuous) salvage arrays.

Instead of limiting it to continuous beams, maybe limit the effect to salvage groups with more than 20 blocks (?).
    Instead of salvaging the entire entity at once, salvage the impacted 16^3 section at once, with the salvage net graphic effect encompassing the entire section. This way, this salvaging can be effective against any target of any size. At the time the beam hits, calculate the combined salvage health of every block in the section. This will make the salvage time a minimum amount, even if there are only a handful of blocks in the current section. Sections with more blocks in them will take longer to calculate and salvage, as a player would expect.

Reactions: aRottenKomquat
    Reaction score
    Yes, I think this is what we need to make truly large single-salvage-groups viable. However, I don't think it needs to be limited to cannon-linked (or otherwise continuous) salvage arrays.

Instead of limiting it to continuous beams, maybe limit the effect to salvage groups with more than 20 blocks (?).
    Instead of salvaging the entire entity at once, salvage the impacted 16^3 section at once, with the salvage net graphic effect encompassing the entire section. This way, this salvaging can be effective against any target of any size. At the time the beam hits, calculate the combined salvage health of every block in the section. This will make the salvage time a minimum amount, even if there are only a handful of blocks in the current section. Sections with more blocks in them will take longer to calculate and salvage, as a player would expect.
    Exactly. I will change the OP for the more than twenty idea. Should I cite you for it?

I wonder which would be better? Having an area of effect that it mines, or simply a limit on how big of an object you can salavage. Maybe if the entity is larger than a set value then it mines in 16 block cubes or whatever. I just think that might be annoying to calculate.
    This could be used in conjunction with the option to overheat drones in the fleet menu for quick cleanup after a fight.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Exactly. I will change the OP for the more than twenty idea. Should I cite you for it?

I wonder which would be better? Having an area of effect that it mines, or simply a limit on how big of an object you can salavage. Maybe if the entity is larger than a set value then it mines in 16 block cubes or whatever. I just think that might be annoying to calculate.
    This could be used in conjunction with the option to overheat drones in the fleet menu for quick cleanup after a fight.
    No need to cite me. My statement is right there.

I see what you mean about wanting to quickly vaporize small entities. Maybe it could be an additional rule. If an entity is smaller than x mass or has less than x blocks, just salvage the whole thing. (I just want to make sure someone doesn't try to spend an hour salvaging a planet segment, thinking the game is broken.)

Reaction score
    No need to cite me. My statement is right there.

I see what you mean about wanting to quickly vaporize small entities. Maybe it could be an additional rule. If an entity is smaller than x mass or has less than x blocks, just salvage the whole thing. (I just want to make sure someone doesn't try to spend an hour salvaging a planet segment, thinking the game is broken.)
    K so you could salvage all your swarm drones but not planets. Good idea.

Reaction score
    This could be some effect from a hyperweapon like flack or wave or something to. But at that point I'm not sure what the linking system will seem like.