Skirts/Gasket

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Okay some one big downside of the new turret system (IMHO) is the gaps you get when you have to accommodate for the movement of parts. I suggest new block be added to the game, it would be nice if this were available in multiple colors but as long as it existed (black) I would be happy.

I'm not really sure what this thing is actually called but this block would be a visible non-physical block. Non-physical blocks already allow for the rotation of turrets. I stuck open plex doors on the bottom of my turret so it was one solid entity and didn't have a floating docker. This block unlike plex doors would remain visible while still allowing other blocks to pass through it. This way we could button up around some of our rotating blocks without leaving ugly gaps.

Real life example:

Reactions: lilFishy
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My turrets fancy your suggestion.
    I tried to make that with blast doors and area triggers but it was too ugly.

starmade-screenshot-0004.jpg

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or, the collision system could be revised to only check to see if the center of blocks enters a block on the parent ship.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Blocks don't have to be physically connected, right? So isn't it possible to have the rotation mechanism inside the ship with the turret sitting flush on the hull (without actually touching the rotation mechanism but being part of the same entity)?. I haven't messed around with rails myself yet, but I think this would work since nothing is colliding.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Blocks don't have to be physically connected, right? So isn't it possible to have the rotation mechanism inside the ship with the turret sitting flush on the hull (without actually touching the rotation mechanism but being part of the same entity)?. I haven't messed around with rails myself yet, but I think this would work since nothing is colliding.
    Yes this is possible but not ideal. My most recent turret has the rail docker sunk into the ship, surrounded by blast doors so it's still physically connected to the rest of the ship. The rest of the base of the turret matches with the pit the turret is sunk into but the gaps are visible when the turret moves. This is not what I am concerned with really. When the gun barrel moves up there is open space and the space the barrel moves into are just open gaps and it looks awkward.