Skinnable Ships?

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Bear with me here, this could be incredibly unlikely just because of the way the game is coded. BUT technical geekery aside, What if we could apply different texture packs to different ships?

Similar to how other people download our custom player skin, i was thinkg perhaps you could assign a texture pack to a ship core, and other people would download the png after the ship spawns. Once dl'd it could just switch the ship's skin. This could give an incredibly unique look to individual ships, and perhaps you could have an option in the menu to disable custom texturepacks, for those with poor vram or dl speeds.

Reaction score
    I was thinking of this exact idea a while ago, because I thought that the current texture pack did not support all styles of ships. I suppose it could be worked out in a similar way to player skins, but it would be annoying to program.

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you really like the idea, i\'d appreciate comments to keep the thread popular!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But it\'s kinda similar to that other thread suggesting faction texture packs. Schema\'s answer to that was that it wasn\'t especially hard to code, but that everyone would need the textures. That may not be an issue right now, but with time, such features could become increasingly and unecessary heavy.

Though I\'m with you on the fact that it\'d be pretty great to be able to do that.

2hu

Reaction score
    Sounds like a good way to use up a lot of storage and bandwidth

Reaction score
    Someone could make a ship with a dark/invisible texture pack for permanent \"cloaking,\" Or disguise weapons as hulls, as well as make the core look like a hull. Unless there were set texturepacks.

2hu

Reaction score
    dark:

Dark objects still reflect light

invisible:

This can be solved by adding a background color to the textures, so that transparent portions are colored.

disguise:

Not too sure about how this would be dealt with with weapons, but you can see the core with the radar marker. If someone is using a radar jammer, it\'s just as hard to find the core as it would be with a normal pack.

Reaction score
    I\'d rather want to have more blocks in the game, than everybody having a texturepack for their ship.

Reaction score
    I love this idea, but I agree that it could be abused. A pitch black texture could be applied, making ships camoflagued beyond the capabilities of regular black hull. You\'re likely to see more pitch black ships, thereby lessening the diversity of ship design. Perhaps textures could have a minimum/maximum brightness to prevent pitch black/blinding white ships, either that or players should have the option to not see the custom skin of a specific ship (making the textures default) if that ship is abusing the system.