Skin Template

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I've been unable to find the template for creating a skin. Does anyone have one?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    StarMade folder > data > Skinning Resources

(The red and blue box/grid images are block templates I believe, the rest are for player skins/helm skins)

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    StarMade folder > data > Skinning Resources

(The red and blue box/grid images are block templates I believe, the rest are for player skins/helm skins)
    I often use Dave's Skin and Helm as a helpful guide when I make skins. (Helps to know exactly where the eyes are, where the gun sits on the hip, ect.) Those aren't located in Skinning Resources, and I always have those on hand, so I'll share those too.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Thank you very much!

Reaction score
    I know this thread might be dead.. but in that folder, there's 4 other files, three different res red bordered "Tile" and something called "64 Sheet" which is an image with a 16 x 16 grid of squares in red and blue.

My question is, what do they do?
    Whoopse skipped a bit
    Also with the helmet what colour do you use to tell it the area is transparent/solid?
    Is there any specific file format i need to do? or is PNG24 fine?

Only reason im asking is because i cant find a difference between the files im making and the files it uses. But they wont display on the server. but the do display for my side.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Also with the helmet what colour do you use to tell it the area is transparent/solid?
    Is there any specific file format i need to do? or is PNG24 fine?

Only reason im asking is because i cant find a difference between the files im making and the files it uses. But they wont display on the server. but the do display for my side.
    PNG24 is not sufficient for transparency. You need to use PNG32. (In most programs, such as GIMP, it's sufficient to "Add Alpha Layer" to upgrade from PNG24 to PNG32. The extra 8 bits are the variable translucency (from 0% completely transparent to 100% completely opaque) at that location on the image. (In other words, you can have a 50% tranparent pixel next to a completely opaque (0% transparent) pixel, next to a completely transparent pixel, in the same image. The GIF format only had one value for transparency, so the pixel was either transparent, or it was completely opaque.

Detailed discussion on the differences between PNG8, PNG24, and PNG32 (normally just referred to as PNG).

Since the images you create are not showing up in-game, it's entirely possible that the game engine won't render PNGs that have less than 32-bit color (24 bit color + 8 bit transparency).

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    some servers have broken/disabled player skins. try a diff server to verify yours.

Reaction score
    PNG24 is not sufficient for transparency. You need to use PNG32. (In most programs, such as GIMP, it's sufficient to "Add Alpha Layer" to upgrade from PNG24 to PNG32. The extra 8 bits are the variable translucency (from 0% completely transparent to 100% completely opaque) at that location on the image. (In other words, you can have a 50% tranparent pixel next to a completely opaque (0% transparent) pixel, next to a completely transparent pixel, in the same image. The GIF format only had one value for transparency, so the pixel was either transparent, or it was completely opaque.

Detailed discussion on the differences between PNG8, PNG24, and PNG32 (normally just referred to as PNG).

Since the images you create are not showing up in-game, it's entirely possible that the game engine won't render PNGs that have less than 32-bit color (24 bit color + 8 bit transparency).
    In most programs i use PNG24 with the option/tickbox for transparency is common, So i can confirm its using PNG32. I 'm just in the habit of saying PNG 24 when i know the tickbox adds 8 bits for transparency.

I actually figured out that the transparency in Starmade requires it to be a 10%+ opaque colour. Just using transparency causes it to replace the space with white. so it can be any colour (i choose black so it doesnt have a tint) fill the "empty space" with it, and its good to go. There is a glitch with it still showing a helmet shape when ever you look at other transparent blocks through it how ever.
    EXAMPLES:
    Skin_20PercentTrans.jpg Skin_BadTrans.jpg
    As you can see in the blue one, the pixels closest to the image which are slightly tinted are more transparent than the blank transparency. These helmets are double res from the standard 128x128. How big can i scale these textures before it starts shrinking them?