Singularity to other universes

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be neat if cooperating server admins could easily set up some kind of "singularity" in their respective universes to allow a player from one server to enter a singularity in-game and be transferred to the other server, dependent on a partnership and agreement between the server owners. It would expand the StarMade universe in a different way, and would allow nearly-seamless transfer from one server to another.

So, for example, if a player doesn't like the rules and settings of their current server, they can set a course for the (insert fancy name here) portal/singularity/wormhole and find themselves on a different server with different rules and players. Example: This universe is too punishing. Set course for the Carebear singularity.

Sure, the player could just manually switch servers, but every other game already does that. Very pedestrian. This is an opportunity to perform the switch in a much more space-y way.

This may be mod-only-material, and I'm leaving the details sparse for discussion.

Example: maybe the player's ship and blueprint gets copied to the new server. Or maybe it doesn't, and the player has to start from scratch. Maybe you get to keep your ship if you pass from universe X to universe Y, but have to start from scratch if you pass back from universe Y to universe X.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I think Notch planned this with nether portals in Minecraft. The problem comes in when you take a ship from a server with custom blocks to a server without custom blocks.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think Notch planned this with nether portals in Minecraft. The problem comes in when you take a ship from a server with custom blocks to a server without custom blocks.
    "cooperating server admins"

It would take a combined effort on all server operators so custom block issues would entirely fall under the fault of them. You wouldn't be able to just link your server up to any server you want.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Exactly. Cooperation between the servers would be essential. Otherwise, differences in rules between the servers could cause issues. I think this would be a very interesting thing to try to implement.

Reaction score
    There was something in Minecraft that did just that. You could have multiple servers with multiple configurations that were merely linked by this mod.

I forget what it is called and I will attempt to look it up to get some more details. It may provide some information or insight into this idea

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here is a better idea: There is only one starmade server but you can set different config for each galaxy and when you spawn you can select a galaxy that doesn't have the default settings and that stays your spawning place. If you don't choose then you start at the default galaxy. if you cross a galaxy border and go into another galaxy with the same settings nothing happens but if you go into a galaxy with different settings then the settings change to that galaxy.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here is a better idea: There is only one starmade server but you can set different config for each galaxy and when you spawn you can select a galaxy that doesn't have the default settings and that stays your spawning place. If you don't choose then you start at the default galaxy. if you cross a galaxy border and go into another galaxy with the same settings nothing happens but if you go into a galaxy with different settings then the settings change to that galaxy.
    Hugely different idea. Interesting. I can see that being a popular mod, but I'm not sure it's default-game material.

With that said, people will still want to play on different servers. Maybe friend A will only play on server X and friend B will only play on server Y. Maybe the player will have a taste for two different play styles, each supported by a different server that are connected with a "singularity" link. (With this example, your idea or just exiting the game and re-entering on a different server would work.) It just seems like a shame to throw away an opportunity to create a sci-fi link between servers that could maintain a certain level of immersion.

Reaction score
    This is actually a very good idea it might even be something you could mod, though I have not looked any modding. Forgive me for saying the name but second life had a group who created a Stargate network that was also passed on into opensim, and aurora I believe. It simply stored a servers IP and Port, then told your client to connect to:eek:n. However it was indeed fun just sometimes hitting a random location and see what was there. A network of cooperating servers would be an awesome thing.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think one of the points of the adjustable config files is that you can set up separate areas on a server that follow different rules. This was mentioned such as when you are in a nebula you could have reduced thrust or no shields. I don't see why server owners couldn't have entire galaxys with different rule sets... once the ability to actually change rules based on location is implemented (if I am correct and that is still the plan)

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Even with different areas in the same universe, I still think server-to-server singularities could be a cool/fun/interesting thing.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Unfortunatly, currently it is impossible to mod that into the game, since the game automatically shuts down when the connection is closed.
    If the game'd return to the connection setup, it'd be possible, but unfortunatly it doesn't.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I see no point to this. You either have cooperating server admins with identical rules, which makes it pointless for there to even BE two servers, or you have conflicting rules and possibly custom configs that just cause confusion for everyone involved.

Since admins will be (are they already able to?) set specific sectors or systems to use varying configs, there's really no reason for this.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I see no point to this. You either have cooperating server admins with identical rules, which makes it pointless for there to even BE two servers
    I disagree there. If a rule/setting does not affect the economy in any way, not really any exploit will open if the rules differ.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I see no point to this. You either have cooperating server admins with identical rules, which makes it pointless for there to even BE two servers, or you have conflicting rules and possibly custom configs that just cause confusion for everyone involved.

Since admins will be (are they already able to?) set specific sectors or systems to use varying configs, there's really no reason for this.
    The configs could be wildly different, meaning some ships may be better than others in a different "singularity universe". This doesn't prohibit them from both existing and wouldn't need to have identical rules. Simple changes like server speed or more complex like how shields regenerate/ consume power could be different. As for confusing players, this isn't exactly something you run into on any server or even in single player. Players on the server would probably be aware of the ability to jump servers and I doubt it would happen accidentally.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I disagree there. If a rule/setting does not affect the economy in any way, not really any exploit will open if the rules differ.
    If there's 0 significant change between servers, then what is the point of having a way to warp between them?

EDIT-
    The configs could be wildly different, meaning some ships may be better than others in a different "singularity universe". This doesn't prohibit them from both existing and wouldn't need to have identical rules. Simple changes like server speed or more complex like how shields regenerate/ consume power could be different. As for confusing players, this isn't exactly something you run into on any server or even in single player. Players on the server would probably be aware of the ability to jump servers and I doubt it would happen accidentally.
    What's the point of swapping servers when admins can just set up specific areas to have different configs?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If there's 0 significant change between servers, then what is the point of having a way to warp between them?
    What is the point of a 3rd spatial dimension if you can move in 2 just fine?

For one, it would divide the player load on 2 machines.
    For two, who claimed changes not affecting the economy aren't significant?
    For three, for each server linked together, each sector exists another time, vastly expanding space.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    however there are many plugins that do that :) almost every big minecraft server (1000+ players) has many servers hooked up to it.