Since 199.646 Open GL crash on a Mac

Reaction score
    Since up dating to 199.646 I am getting to the main menu but I crash when I try to join the universe and I get an Open GL error.

RuntimeException org.schema.schine.graphicsengine.shader.ShaderException:
    data//shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh

ERROR: 0:1: " : version '130' is not supported

I downgraded back o 535a and I can play again but the update is currently unplayable on my system:

Macbook pro retna 15 inch 2013 OS 10.9.5 with a GeForce GT650M with energy saver turned off.

TBB

Reaction score
    You should report this to Phabricator. Developers may read this, and who knows, maybe report this themselves but if it is not reported it will get ignored. (I'm guessing)

EDIT: top bar "Bugs" to report

Reaction score
    Yeah. . . I know game developers love that bug report client. It kind of annoys me. I'll get to it eventually.

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Saw your bug report, but perhaps it's better to handle troubleshooting here as it's more frequently visited.

Not 100% sure what would be the cause but try the following:
    - Installation repair, redownload the release version as maybe a shader is partially broken (i doubt it but you can give it a try)
    - Disable shadows in your graphic options in case you have them enabled, if the game runs without that then we at least know it's something specific
    - Upload your logs folder, just compress ./StarMade/logs and upload it here, that way we can see more information about your system and where it goes wrong with this shader exception.

Reaction score
    Saw your bug report, but perhaps it's better to handle troubleshooting here as it's more frequently visited.

Not 100% sure what would be the cause but try the following:
    - Installation repair, redownload the release version as maybe a shader is partially broken (i doubt it but you can give it a try)
    - Disable shadows in your graphic options in case you have them enabled, if the game runs without that then we at least know it's something specific
    - Upload your logs folder, just compress ./StarMade/logs and upload it here, that way we can see more information about your system and where it goes wrong with this shader exception.

Thanks for the suggestions. I redid the upgrade which I assume is the same as the redownloading you suggested. Shadows were also turned off already. The crash is still happening. I have uploaded the logs as requested.

Attachments

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Great thanks!

It looks like the outline shader is causing it, we may have a fix for it that you can try out now and see if it works or not. If it doesn't, then upload new logs so we can see if it's something else then.

The fix:
    In your ./StarMade/data/shader/cube/quads13 folder, replace shadowcube.vsh with the file I've uploaded here, make sure to extract the zip as the file is inside it.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Thanks! I'll test it out. On a side note, it seems like when I go back from .646 to .535a it somehow corrupts the save. . . without even being able to open the world in .646. All the navigation saves and my inventory are there but there are no stations or ships where they are supposed to be. Bringing in an older version of the save is the only fix I found. Backups for the win. . . That happened during those same logs I sent you.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Great thanks!

It looks like the outline shader is causing it, we may have a fix for it that you can try out now and see if it works or not. If it doesn't, then upload new logs so we can see if it's something else then.

The fix:
    In your ./StarMade/data/shader/cube/quads13 folder, replace shadowcube.vsh with the file I've uploaded here, make sure to extract the zip as the file is inside it.
    The fix worked thanks! I have been playing the updated game for an hour now with now problems. Thank you!

Reaction score
    I also have this problem even after trying a reinstall and the fix provided. Unfortunately I still get the error. Also for some reason there is no log directory in starmade so i cannot provide those.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Thanks! I'll test it out. On a side note, it seems like when I go back from .646 to .535a it somehow corrupts the save. . . without even being able to open the world in .646. All the navigation saves and my inventory are there but there are no stations or ships where they are supposed to be. Bringing in an older version of the save is the only fix I found. Backups for the win. . . That happened during those same logs I sent you.
    It's because many of our versions are not forwards compatible, you can't always use ships from a later version into an older one.
    It does work just fine the other way around though, content from older versions should load in just fine in any new one.

The fix worked thanks! I have been playing the updated game for an hour now with now problems. Thank you!
    Awesome, this shader fix will be included in the next release.

I also have this problem even after trying a reinstall and the fix provided. Unfortunately I still get the error. Also for some reason there is no log directory in starmade so i cannot provide those.
    If there are no logs, you didn't manage to get beyond the launch button of the launcher.
    If you did get to the main menu, there should be logging and you might be looking in the wrong place.

Are you sure you also got a Shader exception when you crashed?

Make a support ticket here, they can help you out in case it's not a shader exception: support

Reaction score
    Hey, i got the same problem. I replaced the shadowcube.zip data with mine, and the the log error changed from: "

org.schema.schine.graphicsengine.shader.ShaderException:
    data//shader/cube/quads13/shadowcube.vsh

ERROR: 0:1: '' : version '130' is not supported
    "
    to:"
    [2017-07-25 17:43:06] WARNING: USING EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN HOOK
    [2017-07-25 17:43:06] java.lang.Exception: Server Shutdown: true
    [2017-07-25 17:43:06] at org.schema.schine.network.server.ServerState.setShutdown(SourceFile:259)
    [2017-07-25 17:43:06] at org.schema.schine.network.server.ServerController$1.run(SourceFile:89)
    [2017-07-25 17:43:06] WARNING: USING EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN HOOK: onShutDown

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13', Mitte 2014)
    OS X Yosemite
    2,6 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris 1536 MB
    [doublepost=1500999010,1500998228][/doublepost]and on Multiplayer server :

Attachments

Reaction score
    Fixed.
    What i did:
    1) downloaded starmade from browser.
    2) replaced the shadowcube.zip
    3) started steam launcher and changed installation folder to the one i downloaded with browser.
    4) changed in settings Playintro to false and PlayTutorialIntro to false (game crashes otherwise at 49% for whatever reason)