Simpler and faster resource gathering

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My opinion, I spent 7 years playing eve online. Your ability/willingness to fight depended on your resources. I was chain building freighters and built carriers and dreadnoughts easy. I've lost a few of them but because I had the resources I could replace them so while a loss hurt it wasn't catastrophic rage quit time. On the other hand I had a titan and a mothership. Both ships while I had the resources to replace didn't have the infrastructure to rebuild so those ships were never in any battle that was somewhat risky. Took a lot of fun out of actually using them.

If resources are really scarce then you increase the rage quit factor as people might just give up, since there not willing to put the effort back into rebuilding. What your willing to risk in battle depends pretty much on how easy it is for you to replace. Since you can set the mining multiplier in the server config and shop stock levels you can somewhat modify the rate of resource gathering.

This in turn allows you to set the server to a harder to survive mode where people who have played longer and mined hard will have an advantage over any newcomer. This also means people will try to take less risk since they can't afford to lose what they do have. Fights tend to be more one sided as you won't engage unless your pretty certain of wining. If they get wiped out there likely to quit at least that server cause its very hard to catch back up with the people that killed you in the first place. Not everyone behaves this way but just on average.

On the other hand with easy resources you will have more people willing to run around and fight. Ships and stations will tend to be larger but replaceable if they die. Your more likely for someone to come back and try again to fight you rather than quit and leave.

Its a bit of a balance it depends on the server you join. If possible find a server that suits the play style you want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    is that miner up for download?
    not as of now as its kinda a ugly proof of concept ship - I will be building a nicer modeled version useing the HP update so it can take a hit or 17 but I will be publishing it

HOWEVER it was built for the LazyGamers server (300ms max speed 600ms with over drive) so in single player or other servers it might has a much lower speed depending on the mechanics of the game

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem is not the mining, its that some resources are more useful then others. why do we mine the colored asteroids? for the ore and crystals.

the minerals are useless. I have millions of unused mineral capsules, and its heart breaking. chabaz is useless to me, and i have flooded the traders guild with it. No one uses chabaz. It's only use is to make things orange and gaudy.

So if any change needs to happen to the crafting system, its that certain items need to become useful. Why do hull blocks, need crystal composite? why can they not be alloyed metal mesh, and mineral capsules instead?

speaking of alloyed metal mesh, it needs to be more useful, i have almost 100,000,000 alloyed metal mesh, because i do not use it. Ever since the power beam update, i have made ships with internal power turrets, that can perma cloak titians, and run ALL support systems, while still destroying planets with missiles. so i do not use it for power generators anymore.

but i run out of crystal composite all the time. though maybe i should start turning some of those useless crystals into composite now....

I have a buttload of crystals, that have no use. None. yet i have mined asteroids, and wiped out planets, for weapon and shield materials.

So its not so much mining and crafting being useless. Its some resources are junk.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The problem is not the mining, its that some resources are more useful then others. why do we mine the colored asteroids? for the ore and crystals.

the minerals are useless. I have millions of unused mineral capsules, and its heart breaking. chabaz is useless to me, and i have flooded the traders guild with it. No one uses chabaz. It's only use is to make things orange and gaudy.

So if any change needs to happen to the crafting system, its that certain items need to become useful. Why do hull blocks, need crystal composite? why can they not be alloyed metal mesh, and mineral capsules instead?

speaking of alloyed metal mesh, it needs to be more useful, i have almost 100,000,000 alloyed metal mesh, because i do not use it. Ever since the power beam update, i have made ships with internal power turrets, that can perma cloak titians, and run ALL support systems, while still destroying planets with missiles. so i do not use it for power generators anymore.

but i run out of crystal composite all the time. though maybe i should start turning some of those useless crystals into composite now....

I have a buttload of crystals, that have no use. None. yet i have mined asteroids, and wiped out planets, for weapon and shield materials.

So its not so much mining and crafting being useless. Its some resources are junk.
    I agree, it all boils down to which resources are useful for your purposes. I see use in everything because on servers I am bit of a hoarder, but having some resources more useful is for a reason. This closely simulates reality, where some resources for construction is better and is more functional than other solutions, making the others less less wanted. I would not use a boulder to make roofing for my house, but something like wood or metal sheeting, therefore making the boulder less useful. Everything has a use, trust me, I am making a ship that has a wide variety of blocks to make it look really nice, but it might be useless for you or others.