Simple way of doing mechs

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    A very simple way of doing mechs is like this. You have a simple ship core. This is now part of the body. The at the bottom of the body (You have to build this) There is a new block called Leg Joint 1. You would need at least 2 of them. Then you would create a little part of a leg and attach a new block called Leg Joint 2. Then you would make the foot. After 2 of these were made your robot/mech would walk like a player, with each joint being a separate entity (Like docking). You could control the direction in which it is walking by orientating it the correct way. To control it would be like a player in gravity. It would look something like this:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm happy with the levitating vehicle cores we'll be getting. I don't feel like this is a very mech-y game.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good idea, but I agree with Lecic . We don't need it. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I just thought that since the community was talking about mechs and implementation, I would say a way how.

Reaction score
    you say that, however people make mechs a lot! seriously, just go to mushroomfleet, mechs is one of their big blueprint 'exports'

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    you say that, however people make mechs a lot! seriously, just go to mushroomfleet, mechs is one of their big blueprint 'exports'
    I don't really see a purpose in this game for mechs that couldn't be filled with much more reliable hover cores. Everyone wants a giant robot without thinking of the problems with it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This may be more difficult than you suspect. Our characters make walking motions while translating through space, even in gravity, but they don't actually "walk" At the moment there is no "coefficient of friction" modeling in the game engine that I can tell. Your mech will not so much walk as flail helplessly on it's back, which is sadly undignified for a battle mech. I could be wrong, of course.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For physics and block-shape reasons, this would never work; the mech would end up falling diagonally forward. Sorry, but 'lololol gaint robot of DOOOOOOOOM' is a lot harder than it seems to be at first.

Reaction score
    no the image above is just a representation. The coding would automatically notice that "Hey its got 2 leg joints and 2 knee joints its probably a mech". No physics calculation here only animation. It would move like it was on wheels but at a jittery walking like motion. And for going uphill an animation could be play for that as well.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    "Hey its got 2 leg joints and 2 knee joints its probably a mech"
    its probably a mech
    ...If an idea requires the game to say "probably" and do something accordingly, it will probably have unintended annoying consequences and limit possibilities somehow. You should have to set the joint blocks to Hip or Knee mode, or something... that way, four-legged walkers and other things would still be a possibility.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...If an idea requires the game to say "probably" and do something accordingly, it will probaably have unintended annoying consequences and limit possibilities somehow. You should have to set the joint blocks to Hip or Knee mode, or something... that way, four-legged walkers and other things would still be a possibility.
    probably :)

Reaction score
    It's just a figure of speech I meant to say or was saying that the game recognizes it as a mech and will walk and act like one.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's just a figure of speech I meant to say or was saying that the game recognizes it as a mech and will walk and act like one.
    I know, but what I'm saying is that nothing should be left up to game recognition... you should have to manually set things, otherwise the game might interpret your deploy-able hinge-powered landing gear pads as mech feet or something. :P

Reaction score
    But it's not like its a hinge that you can use manually. The blocks are pre programmed to work together. The blocks being used as joints only work all together. There's a hip joint a leg joint and a ankle joint all working together in one leg. A single leg will not work and function with out either. Anything below a joint is considered part of that respected joint until another joint appears until the ankle joint which below that is the foot. Also once again it is controlled like you would control your astronaut.

Reaction score
    That would make since it could be like a weapons computer but instead of amcs being connected it would be any other block.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's always nice to find a fellow mecha lover.

I also made a suggestion about mecha so my critic may be biased, but i'll try to be the more objective possible:

You have a good idea to assimilate the mecha as a model character (i did the same) but the fact that you say it has a hip joint then a leg joint then a foot joint for the leg
    - won't it limit the shape you can make?
    - could you do a three legged or a forth legged mecha ?

the animation of the leg won't be the same if the thigh and the tibia have the same size or if one is twice as long as the other, how will your system handle it ?

Maybe you don't have give a though yet or you didn't explained it in your post. I suggest you to read my proposition it may help you improve your proposition and you may find flaws in mine ;).
    I think you can improve your proposition, continue the fight, mecha will triumph :cool:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    But it's not like its a hinge that you can use manually. The blocks are pre programmed to work together. The blocks being used as joints only work all together. There's a hip joint a leg joint and a ankle joint all working together in one leg. A single leg will not work and function with out either. Anything below a joint is considered part of that respected joint until another joint appears until the ankle joint which below that is the foot. Also once again it is controlled like you would control your astronaut.
    I'm saying that it should be a setting, kind of like the Ship/Turret setting on a Bobby AI Block.