Simple Hull Crafting

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The new crafting system kinda sucks. As I explore it I find that there are lots of things that do not make sense. Below is just one suggestion I have to make crafting hulls better.

1) only one type of hull and hardened hull, grey.

2) craft paint from properly colored blocks. No ores or shards. These should just be Terrain blocks. 1 terrain block = 1 paint

3)1 paint + 10 hull = 10 painted hull

4) 1 hull can be sliced into whatever shape you want (penta, wedge, corner, tetra)

There would also be a similar tree for glass. The numbers above would also be subject to balance needs.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't really like the second part. Paint should be an incredibly cheap derivative of rocks, since they're essentially a mining byproduct anyway - something like 100 paint to a rock capsule. Using terrain blocks would result in people starting to salvage the hell out of planets again, which we don't want. Otherwise, I agree. The most fundamental building materials in the game should NOT be complicated to craft or manage.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd also like to see more complexity in factory outputs.

For example, when crafting pentas from basic hull blocks, you should get one penta PLUS one tetra. Another example: Producing mesh from rock yields not only the mesh, but also maybe a random capsule, and maybe possibly a random paint block. I would get a certain sense of excitement just to see what Random Crap (tm) my factory produced while I was away. I think a server-configurable randomness would add a lot of fun to the factory system. The output all needs to be stuff that is sellable at a shop, so if you get too much of what you don't need, you can sell the extra stuff for cash money.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like to controll factories by logic signals. It would make easier to craft things.

Reaction score
    I don't really like the second part. Paint should be an incredibly cheap derivative of rocks, since they're essentially a mining byproduct anyway - something like 100 paint to a rock capsule. Using terrain blocks would result in people starting to salvage the hell out of planets again, which we don't want. Otherwise, I agree. The most fundamental building materials in the game should NOT be complicated to craft or manage.
    What do you mean, again? Salvaging a planet is the most efficient way to get ores & shards. It would take forever to get large quantities(20k+) of ores & shards if you just got them from asteroids.
    Why is that a bad thing though? It seems to me that's how the game is designed to work; you salvage asteroids AND planets for crafting resources.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What do you mean, again? Salvaging a planet is the most efficient way to get ores & shards. It would take forever to get large quantities(20k+) of ores & shards if you just got them from asteroids.
    Why is that a bad thing though? It seems to me that's how the game is designed to work; you salvage asteroids AND planets for crafting resources.
    The poor poor planets. How you dare to just eat them!!!
    *A sentient-grown being on a earlier half-salvaged planet puts a bounty on your head* :D

I think is should take longer and much more (by much I really mean something like 5x) power to salvage from planets.

IRL it would take the most energy to get these resources into orbit, not salvaging them, and in-game salvage beams could be very inefficient in atmosphere or at transporting tons of resources into the orbit without breaking immersion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    , when crafting pentas from basic hull blocks, you should get one penta PLUS one tetra
    But then you would need one tetra and one penta to make a solid block. Better to keep it simple. Plus separate blocks for separate shapes might be going away anyway.