Simple Changes that would Fix Overpowered Recipes

Reaction score
    I'm placing this in General Discussion rather than Suggestions because, frankly, I figure Schema has a better and far more complex solution in the works as it is, whereas what I'm proposing here is merely a temporary quick-fix, posted mostly to generate discussion and hear what other people think.

Right now the recipe system is a bit overpowered. It's very easy to "re-roll" the recipe for the item you want until you have a version that uses 2 to 4 samples of an item with a base cost of 1 credit, and has no other ingredients.

Now, first, a disclaimer: I like the recipe system. Exploring pirate stations and scraping together base items to gradually build a library of recipes, and then networking them together to create any item in the game from raw materials, is a lot of fun.

Except... nobody does that. At the moment the single biggest problem with the recipe system is that you can duplicate items with "block-ships" and use the blocks you get to buy recipes until you have the cheapest imaginable recipe for that item, which takes the fun out of the entire system.

Therefore, we are at a bit of an impasse in the game at the moment. You can't make recipes fun without preventing block ship spawning, but the best way to stop block ships would be to have purchased ships cost the player the blocks they are made out of, rather than the credit cost of those blocks. Unfortunately, at the moment that change is impossible, in the current state where shop stock is extremely limited; there's no way you could possibly gather enough of every block you'd need to spawn even a medium-sized ship into a multiplayer server.

Enter the recipe system. With the right raw materials, any item in the game can be created in any quantity you want. The problem, however, is that without block ships, it would be nearly impossible to get to 5000 count of any item that you can't salvage from a pre-generated structure. Dirt, rock, and low-level ores are easy to gather from planets and asteroids. Glass, lights, power cells, and certain colors of basic hull are easy to pull from space stations. But what about reinforced hull? Salvage beams? Plexdoors? Ship Cores? Recipe costs would need to be reduced to a level that is easily attainable, but not easily-spammable.

Behind recipe spam, the second biggest problem is the "cornucopia loop." By re-rolling recipes until each has only one ingredient requirement, and then chaining those recipes backwards until you find one that loops back to a previous point in the chain, you need only to feed enough raw materials in to level the recipes to the point where the input cost is less than the output cost, and you have effectively created a cornucopia machine. At that point, you need only find a recipe for a L5 ore that draws from one item in that loop, and you have infinite credits.

Fortunately, this issue is the easiest to fix, because it hinges on two factors:

1. The level of the average recipe in the chain must be at or above the number of items the recipe requires
    2. Recipes must be easy to link together into long chains

Both these key elements can be removed entirely with one simple change: make all recipes require 3 different input items. Not only does this effectively triple the average level a cornucopia machine's recipes must be, it also prevents simple loops.

This by itself, however, doesn't solve the L5 ore problem completely, because players can still eventually develop a looping web of extremely cheap raw material recipes, and then link three of them to a recipe for one extremely expensive object, L5 ore or otherwise. Thus, recipes need some sort of natural staging, whereby extremely cheap ingredients are not used in recipes for extremely expensive items. The simplest solution, in my opinion, is to limit the ingredient pool for a random recipe to items with no less than 50% the base cost of the item the recipe produces. Since the "cheapest" recipe in terms of block count is 6 input items per output, this would mean that recipes are lossy at first in terms of base credit value; 300% cost at level 1, 150% cost at level 2, break-even at level 3, and 75% cost at level 4.

Reaction score
    The following changes would effectively bandaid-fix recipes in the current game:

1. Purchased ships cost their blocks, instead of the credit cost of those blocks.
    2. Recipe cost is reduced to around 500 blocks
    3. Recipes always require 3 different input items
    4. Ingredients must have a base credit value of at least 50% the output item\'s base credit value

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or just put in the old factory system or make some kind of combination where there are recipes involved, but less of the randomness.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are \"block ships\"?

Reaction score
    Ships that are composed of 1 blocktype only, excluding the core, mainly meant for getting scarce blocks. Quite a game/economy breaker for servers with catalog enabled for players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks. I\'ve only played solo so far, and haven\'t investigated the recipes or manufacturing yet. But I\'m still a little puzzled. I\'ve found it pretty easy to amass millions with a good battery of salvage cannons, so this block ship business isn\'t the only way to \"break\" the game. Seems to me the whole \"economy\" of the game will probably see some tweaking before this goes to beta...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The longer they keep it gamebreakingly easy to amass parts and money, the longer they are able to sort out the limits of the game code on modern computers. And the longer they can maintain maximum stress testing of the game by people with oversized ships for imroving efficiency and squashing bugs. Don\'t expect any SUBSTANTIAL economy balancing until a good deal more of the planned features start getting into the game (like missions and whatnot).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OP raises some good points. for my own part I thought blueprints should work as follows:

1) open your catalogue, click to spawn a ship (doesn\'t strictly need to be at a shop).

2) game checks your inventory for materials. After that, it checks public or faction storage within your sector. Finally, it checks shop if you are in range of one. If it can find all the materials from those 3 sources, the ship is spawned (and you are deducted the cost of shop materials, which are removed from shop inventory).

3) repairing an existing ship can be done in a similar way, but the system only looks for missing blocks on it (and automatically restores damaged blocks if you are docked at a faction base or in shop range).

As for some other points raised by the OP; specifically regarding gathering rarer blocks for schematics:

I like that some (many in fact) schematics are hard to obtain. getting a specific schematic should be a group effort that gives your faction as a whole a goal to work towards. In a bigger server being the only faction that can make, say, hardened purple hull wedges gives you an economic niche and gives your enemy a reason to come after you. If any single schematic was easy to obtain, so many players would just get their own copy of it and industrial focused players/factions would have no market to sell to or trade with.

If anything, basic hull and glass components and things should be harder to amass (nerf abandoned stations).

The economic and industrial side of this game needs a lot of attention.

Reaction score
    Yeh, right now most servers are making their own economy modifications to improve this a bit, although adding some more customizability would be very welcome.