1. We've removed some functionality from SMD in preparation for a migration to new forum software.

[Signs] & [SD Plex Monitor] block

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pahtriac, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Pahtriac

Had some thoughts about this sugguestion and so refined the sugguestion with some help of other ppl. Those that reacted to this sugguestion.
      Thank for this!

Greetings

I have plenty of stuff and try to keep stuff tidy like i did in minecraft.
      tho my fellow faction members are not that organised and they say i dont know what to put where...

The idea is to have a monitor like block that shows the given name/number or content text
      this can be done with 2 fonds.
      1: Big font - only one character per block
      2: small font - 4 lines of text
      Color of background should be defined by the type of monitor.
      this could be connected to a regulator block system (should give some fun)
      this should use energy

Sign plate - static plate of metal with 4 line of text

With kind regards

Petrus

#1 Pahtriac, Apr 7, 2014
      Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
      • Like Like x 7
    2. rece ktore leczo

Monitors/screens/plates would be really nice.

Just writing to give little advice - put one block (of the type which is inside storage) at the top/bottom plex storage. If i had different types of blocks in one container then i organized my plex storages to be similar in contain as tabs in shop (general, ship, hulls, etc) and again, placed one block over the storage.

Hope i helped!

3. Pahtriac

Any help/input towarth this [SD PLEX Monitor] is welcome

4. elwainio

I think sign's are a little bit 'minecrafty'. I'd instead like to see a block like a compute monitor from the 80's, with old style green lettering of the time. This could then be used to name chests or doors / rooms / level numbers etc.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Pahtriac

i know what u mean hence me sugguesting the monitor block
      but what ever suits cal the best im fine with that. just wanna have some taggy thingie to sort me stuffs

6. bryther

i like the idea, i've been thinking of something like this myself. like a block with the text on it or a tag, if you target the object the text will appear

7. Syzygy

If they name it anything other than SD Plex Monitor I will be dissapointed

• Like Like x 2
    8. Azurite

"Minecrafty" doesn't sound like a bad thing in my opinion. Ripping off other games, movies, art, music, etc is what moves media forward as a whole. Besides, minecraft was ripped off other games as well. Even so, Minecraft wasn't the first game to have signs or even blocks for that matter. Sometimes similarities and nuances will show up in multiple art forms. Doesn't mean it's bad or even that they blatantly copied it. It's just a fact of life. You have my vote, "minecrafty" or not.

+1 for SD Plex Monitor

#8 Azurite, Apr 12, 2014
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    9. elwainio

I understand what you are saying here and don't get me wrong on Minecraft as it is one of my favourite games. I just don't think a wooden sign fits in with a futuristic space game and that Starmade should be its own thing in its own way.

Guess that's why I like the monitor idea and +1 for SD Plex Monitor, but at this stage any sign is a positive step. Perhaps make them metal or bronze like the plaques on Star Trek bridges.

10. Pahtriac

(grinz) i have enough Birch wood in my inventory :P

i never said it should haave been wood its clear enough that a matal plate could do the job just nicely

11. ltmauve

Eh, the difference between a stenciled piece of metal and a glowing holographic monitor should be as simple as a texture pack change.

12. testkil

Signs or computerscreens would be fine

13. NeonSturm

NeonSturm StormMaker

ltmauve "Eh, the difference between a stenciled piece of metal and a glowing holographic monitor should be as simple as a texture pack change."

Yes, but the problem may be consistency. I would not want blocks which will not appear in a default install and precious functionality be lost.

#13 NeonSturm, Apr 12, 2014
      Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    14. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

There should be multiple styles of sign in this game, just like there should be multiple styles of everything, from a rough wooden sign carved into driftwood, to an engraved metal plate, to a clean, futuristic glass plate with projected white lettering. You shouldn't have to change texture packs to get multiple different styles; it is more consistent, and helps diversity, if they're all in as options.

15. Azurite

I wasn't talking aesthetic as much as I was talking about functionality. Of course the sign wouldn't be wooden. That would look strange. Looks like you people missed my point entirely lol o_O

16. NeonSturm

NeonSturm StormMaker

Are I not allowed to build wooden signs on planets? :(

17. elwainio

"Keep out Ogre" :p

18. Azereiah

Azereiah Way gayer than originally thought.

Various types of signs need to be a thing. ouo

I would love to see NPC/alien villages of little mud huts with half rotten wooden plank signs.
      Would love to see stations with lettering on the hull walls.
      Would love to have little futuristic signs of either metal, glass, or a holo projection panel in my ship.

Mostly, I just want to be able to figure out where I put my stuff.

19. Pahtriac

hence me starting this topic

20. Pahtriac

BUMP - I added/edited the 1st post