Sideways cockpits

Reaction score
    I was working on a large ship in single player. I wanted to design a broadside cannon system with the updated ability to face cockpits. With the cockpit facing 90 degrees I was able to see the direction I wished but my ship starts spinning as soon as I touch my mouse, I think because the ship is trying to align with a mouse now pointing far from center mast. This makes the cockpit placement update ineffective and single pilot broadsides still inpractical.

This is an understandable computer reaction, and I am unsure of a good fix. Perhaps a whole new block is needed to allow viewing without controling the thrusters, or let ai control cpus without cores.

Reaction score
    Same problem for me, i have placed a cockpit under my ship for docking it on a station and its start spining when i\'m in it...

Reaction score
    I forgot to mention that I loose the cross that indicates my mouse when I enter a side facing cockpit, until I press space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I also see this with any cockpit that doesn\'t face forwards, and also switching to the core after a non-forward-facing cockpit does not correctly reset the view (i.e. the view remains in the direction of the cockpit, but in the position of the core).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yeah, this bug has been killing my builds as well. however, i\'ve found that the bug behaves differently depending on the direction the cockpit block is facing.

FACING FOWARDS: normal behavior

FACING REARWARDS: ship reorients 180 degrees upon switching to rear-facing cockpit. ship will not change orientation on mouse motion

FACING LEFT: ship does not reorient. mouse motion changes ship orientation. for ship to not move, crosshair sits far left of screen center. roll left/right causes ship entity to pitch up/down. panning mouse cursor left/right causes ship to yaw left/right panning mouse cursor up/down causes ship to roll right/left. (controls seem to stay consistent with the point of view but not consistent with ship controls -- i.e. roll left/right should roll the craft left/right, panning mouse cursor sould pitch/yaw up/down left/right independent of cockpit point of view)

FACING RIGHT: similar to rear-view behavior. ship quickly reorients 90 degrees to the right and becomes unresponsive to mouse motion

I have not checked the UP or DOWN orientations, so it would be great if someone else could reproduce how those POVs behave (I\'ll try them and update this post with them)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same problem with down facing cockpit. The ship immediately rolls 90 degrees when I switch to the down facing cockpit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was just about to do this, glad i didn\'t waste my time, i hope they come up with a good fix

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what they could do i develope placeable cores that can be liked to the first one placed, allowing them to act as cocpits and fixing the problem with the mouse