Recognized Show speed of selected entity in the HUD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I was in a dogfight with a pirate and the thing I felt was missing from the HUD was the speed of the selected target.

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was in a dogfight with a pirate and the thing I felt was missing from the HUD was the speed of the selected target.
    Any suggestion as to where you would put that information? I do like the idea, should make it a lot easier to stay on is tail/stay out his view.

Reaction score
    The question is....do you want relative velocities or relative speed? Absolute velocity or absolute speed?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The question is....do you want relative velocities or relative speed? Absolute velocity or absolute speed?
    I'd prefer absolute velocity. I want the direction... somewhere, somehow, and the absolute magnitude. Relative speed would be counter-intuitive when pretty much any other space game gives absolute speed. (Some of them have relative speeds too, but I never use those.)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Slightly unrelated, but to make this even more useful Additive Linear Velocity in the server config should really be set to True by default. Makes flying at the same speed as an enemy mean your shots are gonna be much more accurate if you aim just a tad bit ahead of them.
    I'd prefer absolute velocity. I want the direction... somewhere, somehow, and the absolute magnitude. Relative speed would be counter-intuitive when pretty much any other space game gives absolute speed. (Some of them have relative speeds too, but I never use those.)
    Yup, this would work really well I believe.

Reaction score
    Hey, I got some people to be not confused by physics! Score one for the SMD!

But yeah, an absolute VELOCITY would be nice, though it would require you to define it as "North by East by Down Relative to the Galactic Plane".....which would be a pain.

So absolute speed is what we're likely to get. However, in that case you should really use RELATIVE speed.

I would like to see speed as a relative (Compared to you) for the purposes of targeting. Makes it a lot easier than extrapolating based on changing distances.