Shoulder/Head Lamp and Ship Illumination

Reaction score
    A couple things occurred to me while I have been playing with the new update:

1) The player has a good flashlight but while it is out you cannot use any other of your tools. If you are investigating a potentially hazardous environment (with the spiders or especially sneaky other players), you have to switch between the two. Perhaps it would be a good idea (my searches show this may have been mentioned in some form in the past) to add a flashlight key that turns on a light that's attached to your suit/helmet that can be used at any time. This would be extra helpful in dark environments like the backside of an asteroid when hand mining.

Bonus points would be a special vision mode that highlights interesting things like ores/distant space vessels.

2) Ships don't have an effective way to light something up. I know that we have the standard crystal and lamp blocks, but something is really needed to focus that light into a coherent zone like a landing light or spot light to make it easier to spot little areas of damage on a hurt ship or small clusters of purple rocks on the side of an asteroid not facing the star. It would be great if there was a ship component for this that lights things directionally instead of all over like the current light sources do. You could limit this effect to just the player using it to cut down on potential lag from the dynamic lighting.

Just a couple usability ideas.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Spotlights are already a planned feature. I don't know if shoulder/head lamps are a thing, though.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Wouldn't be against having lights strategically exposing some overtly detailed parts of my ship.