Should the game have rpg skill elements?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm concerned about RPG elements being technology based.

Specific concern: A mod would inevitably become popular that would allow absolutely anything tech-based to be constructed, then the game becomes pay-to-win.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm concerned about RPG elements being technology based.

Specific concern: A mod would inevitably become popular that would allow absolutely anything tech-based to be constructed, then the game becomes pay-to-win.

The mod would only be an issue if it was installed server side. Though i am not that familiar with multiplayer. The game appears to be ready for multiple modes. I want the rpg stuff in the single player modes, as there is not too much to do single player, besides design ships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The mod would only be an issue if it was installed server side. Though i am not that familiar with multiplayer. The game appears to be ready for multiple modes. I want the rpg stuff in the single player modes, as there is not too much to do single player, besides design ships.
    Understandable. There is no real single player mode. Singleplayer is simply a local server using your own server settings. However, as a mod, it can be easily applied to just your local server. I'm just thinking it will be popular in a multiplayer environment as well. Some of the most popular mods for popular single-player PC games is to turn them into multiplayer shared experiences.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I am heavily against ANYTHING RPG affecting ships or stations. You want bonus power regen? Learn to build your ship better. No restrictions on what you can fly, or arbitrary 'buffs' to systems are turning, we have game mechanics for that such as crafting (you earn a big ship when you collect the resources) and the coming thruster revamp (Eventually anyways). There is already that gap between existing players and newcomers with the older ones already being settled and having ship, I would not, nor would many others, support a system that makes it even harder to get set up and competitive.

So NO to aceface 's idea of leveling up = larger ships and Panpiper artifact system (on ships anyways). Artifact system may work IF it is a station-only idea, like an AoE buff or Debuff to surrounding sectors. An AoE that negatively affects Shield regen for example would likely lead to the owning faction, as well as it's aggressors, building sleeker and faster ships to better dodge, since shields would be less reliable in said sectors. Would lead to more diversity in ships, as you would need to build to overcome said obstacles instead of just flying for miles and grinding to get a level playing field. Just my take on it.

I have mixed feelings on mirco-managing NPC skills though, a random point assignment on buying one may be nice (some may be better at aiming then flying), but there isn't anything but arbitrary "does X% more damage" or "turns X% faster", which would lead to more single man factions since NPCs are just better.

I do support character-based RPG elements though, mainly as a reason to not just use your ship to blow everything up (Might someday get boarding for example), but I really think RPG has no real place in the ship building aspect, aside from environmental aspects that would affect everyone.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    so you can elect to join a server that has turned them off completely if you so chose.
    Again, we are not in position to say "go join another server if you don't like it". The number of relevant servers are very few, and many of us already have worked more then 300 hours of gameplay on our current holdings. So, if my server ever gains those features, I will rather quit then starting over.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I have been playing for over a month now, and i really enjoy this game like i did with minecraft. I am a sci fi fan, so i think i will get more play time out of it than i did with minecraft.

That said, I got bored with minecraft after 6 months. Now, a few mods resurrected minecraft for me. the biggest one being dragon block c.

The reason was because it made punching things fun. I also found dragon ball to translate very well into minecraft. Goku punches trees to cut them down, gohon made a boat in one episode to go home, gohon's training involved surviving in the wilderness. All these things are very minecraft, so this mod made added a lot of levels to minecraft, not just the rpg element(punching stuff gave exp, not the kill, but the act of punching!!!)

Starmade is not minecraft though. For one thing, the scale is bigger, there are more blocks, logic is easier and does more, more ore varieties, block shapes determine output, and you build ships instead of houses, and the ships do stuff.

But i also feel that the game can benefit from an rpg skill system. I am not asking for huge bonuses, but tiny bonuses. Like a gunnery skill that lowers cool down time a bit, a pilot skill that helps turning a little, things of that nature. I feel that this would add some more play time to the game. It would also give a better feel of immersion. The pilot goes from being a poor bum to becoming a feared force to be reckoned with.
    I think this could work out if you did it like Mech Warrior Online. Buying skills with xp and/or credits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Starmade is all about building and piloting ships, and it works just fine as is. It is the 'player's' skill at building, piloting and aiming that make the difference, a character's abstract skill points would have little to no impact on this. Character skills would be for other things for the most part, things related to when you are 'not' building or piloting your ship yourself. I would include a piloting skill that helped with turn rate in a minute way and a gunnery skill that would only really be applicable for NPCs manning non-missile turrets, but the degree of impact of those skills should be something that can be selected in one's options, so you can elect to join a server that has turned them off completely if you so chose.
    I agree with all of this. Piloting should only help with removing the turn rate debuff. I am more worried about the non flying aspects. As it stands, i hardly ever leave my ship, and once they allow flagships to have factories, i do not think i will ever leave it.