Should Chain Drives Remain?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why are we always trying to kill any thing that smack of player ingenuity? There's not exactly a whole lot of devices a player can make that feel like technology. Chaindrives, docked energy stores and logic weapons (thank god no ones trying to nerf those) are the only proper "machines" that we can make in this so-called sandbox.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Why are we always trying to kill any thing that smack of player ingenuity? There's not exactly a whole lot of devices a player can make that feel like technology. Chaindrives, docked energy stores and logic weapons (thank god no ones trying to nerf those) are the only proper "machines" that we can make in this so-called sandbox.
    Likely due to the fact that most of the 'tech' you mentioned is nothing but bodge job fixes for broken/boring alpha mechanics. If removing those bandages is whats required to actually address the core problems that spawned them in the first place then so be it. Maybe that means officially adopting some of this 'tech', maybe it means changing mechanics so they are no longer needed or even exist. We the player base will give feedback on those changes, find ways around things that annoy us, and the cycle will continue. Such is the way of the Alpha. :D

Last edited:

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Likely due to the fact that most of the 'tech' you mentioned is nothing but bodge job fixes for broken/boring alpha mechanics. If removing those bandages is whats required to actually address the core problems that spawned them in the first place then so be it. Maybe that means officially adopting some of this 'tech', maybe it means changing mechanics so they are no longer needed or even exist. We the player base will give feedback on those changes, find ways around things that annoy us, and the cycle will continue. Such is the way of the Alpha. :D
    I can see why you feel that way and it's fair enough. What you see as the alpha cycle I see as a movement to dumb down anything slightly complex to a single block or out of the game entirely. We'll see I guess.:D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would be fine with removing chain drives if the replacement also took a lot of thought and engineering to construct. I agree with Groovrider that "dumbing down" the game makes it less interesting in the late game for engineers.

Reaction score
    I really want to see hurdles like chaindrives disappear....because limiting peoples' ability to travel at speed makes this game a grind.....all about holding a button down. Maybe even two buttons, if you're travelling with a JD.

But I agree, there should be some sort of multiblock structure system. Perhaps we can get more complex power generators (Using fuel, I'd hope), various material-gathering, planet- or nebula-based structures, etc.

Perhaps somethings that require some a set list of components and require certain components to touch each other, allowing for the user to design a multiblock structure based on the basic blocks, but can be expanded....if you make it right.

Anyway, that was just an idea that popped into my head that allows for experimentation and customization, yet still retains some semblance of logic and removes accidental and/or unnecessarily unintuitive mechanics (Chaindrives, docked reactors).

Reaction score
    What about adding a lower bound to charging time for jump drives?
    For example, as you approach jump drives of sizes 1/2000 of the ship, the time to charge goes to infinity