Shots as Ammunition, and as Energy - it can be additional, effective and work

Would ammuntion be a useful addition to the combat arsenal:?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
    • Not needed

Votes: 3 27.3%
    • In a different way

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So for a while Ive thought about ammunition and read a ton of threads about it on the forums.
    Heres my takes on it:

Conditions:
    => Ammunition should not be required for all ships, nor should it be plainly better than energy fired shots.
    => Manufacturing should be intuitive.
    => It should be an additional weapon option that could be added to energy based ship but have its own downsides.

So:

=>2 types of shots, Energy and Ammunition.

=> Energy is what we have now, where large weapon systems convert energy into a weaponized form them immediately expel it from the ship.
    =>Ammunition would be where the same weapon systems would produce the shot using energy (but with a penalty:?) and then essentially "bottle" it, with the number of required ammunition cases required being dependent on the damage of the projectile.

Manufacturing:

=>To manufacture, select the cargo container you wish the ammunition to go into with C, then press V on weapon system.
    =>Whenever the Master computer recives a logic input, it will attempt to create projectiles at all out puts (if they have reloaded and there is enough energy) and then deposit them into the cargo container with each output creating a seperate "bottled" shot.
    =>Each ammunition with different stats gets put into a separate slot.
    =>Each "ammunition" is assigned certian stats:

--->>Damage {Taken from original output}
    --->>Firing cost {Firing cost in energy, say 10% of original cost to produce}
    --->>Reload {Taken from original output}
    --->>Range {Taken from original output}
    --->>Mass {Related to damage, lower damage projectiles have better mass efficiency}
    --->>Launcher {E.g Missile, Beam ,Ion}

You can see these stats by mousing over the ammunition.
    There could also be a total storage efficiency which is based off the total number of ammunition "groups" in the storage block, which multiplies the mass by (x%) if the number of different types of ammunition piles gets too high (so players dont have 500 slightly different types of ammunition in storage).

=>The major balancing factor of ammunition is its MASS

->To store ammunition, you need storage space. Ammunition will tend to require large amounts of storage, thus:

-->>The more ammunition, the heavier your ship becomes, and thus the slower it accelerates.
    -->>High damage ammunition requires significantly more storage than low damage ammunition.
    -->>Ammunition will only cost a fraction of the energy it cost to fire, however instead of requiring large power banks it will require large storage banks.
    -->>Ammunition requires consumable "ammunition cases" to be built, more damage = more cases required to 'bottle' the shot.
    -->>Ammunition is limited and does not replenish, energy does.
    -->>If the storage is damaged, any excess mass will be ejected from the ship and ammunition lost.

Think of like instead of having a power bank that stores energy, you have a storage bank which stores ammunition.

Thus carrier based bombers could become viable!
    They might only have enough storage for a few shots, but would give them a greater initial damage potential compared to energy based bombers. After fring off their shots, they would need to return to re-arm. Ammunition stored would be limited by storage provided, and when loaded would dramatically slow the ship.
    Ammunition would also have a base energy cost (say 10% of original) to required a decent launching platform.

Firing:

To fire, create a regular weapon system, number of blocks in each part does not matter.
    Select the Weapon system with C, then press V on the cargo container you want it to draw from.
    When fired, the system will use compatible ammunition in whatever order they are arranged in the storage block, with the Weapon system having the reload time of the selected ammunition applied before it can be fired.

______________________________________________________________________________

So thats my take on ammunition ^_^
    Quick summary,

-2 types, Energy weapons (current), Ammunition (new).
    Energy requires stored power, Ammunition requires storage + small energy cost.
    -Stored ammunition contributes towards a ships total mass.
    -Simple way to manufacture
    -Simple way to fire
    -Ammunition will weigh down a ship, if storage space gets destroyed and doesnt have enough, ammuntion will be lost.

What do you guys think:?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Good idea, having ammunition would make logistics a concern and would give more depth to warfare

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd kind of like to see them try cannon and missiles as a completely ammo based system just to try it out. There are a lot of mixed feelings about ammo though. It would probably be a lot of work to add ammo in and then decide it's not going to work out. But we won't know unless they try it. Yours does balance the two somewhat, but I'd like to see them try pure ammo based first.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This would be a good way to get bomber type drones to do damage with missile/pulse ammo, without buffing warheads.
    Even stealth bombers would work with mass/ammo issues, but I guess the trick is the ratios....

Stations on the other hand that don't move won't care about the mass so that could be dangerous as it should be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would be a good way to get bomber type drones to do damage with missile/pulse ammo, without buffing warheads.
    Even stealth bombers would work with mass/ammo issues, but I guess the trick is the ratios....

Stations on the other hand that don't move won't care about the mass so that could be dangerous as it should be.
    Ah good point, althougth I think cloaking needs an overall rework though (having to make ships almost entirely out of energy cubes never really appealed to me XD).

Cargo ships would also get a buff, since they can now carry a ton of weapons around :3 One that note, having abandoned cargo ships lying about with ammunition inside of them would be a cool addition to the SM universe, and I can imagine smaller players obtaining weapons of mass destruction from them to use against bigger players XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For that to work you need some way of converting some one else's ammunition to your own.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    For that to work you need some way of converting some one else's ammunition to your own.
    Nope. All ammunition is made the same way, if you have the storage space, a bit of energy and a small launcher you can fire it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this is an excellent idea for those turrets that you want to have smaller barrel entities yet maintain a higher damage output.

This would allow a magazine to be stored elsewhere on the ship and transfer the ammunition via storage block rail linking, if the magazine takes an unshielded hit (or a crazy astronaut with a torch visits the aloha snackbar) then it blows like a warhead.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I actually really like this idea. Make weapons such as missiles Kinetic and make them require ammunition

Reactions: Dire Venom

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ammunition just turns balancing into a ridiculous nightmare. No thanks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Did you care to read my post:? Seems more like you didn't and just posted a knee-jerk reaction :(
    Editable Balancing factors I suggested were:
    =>High Mass -limited storage space for ammunition with greater mass/damage for high damage shots. Mass is dependent on damage.
    =>% Base energy cost -requires launch platform to have a decent power set up
    =>Storage efficiency -to prevent 500 slightly different types of ammunition being put in the same storage block

Change these 3 numbers around and you can make ammunition Up, OP or even balanced (server side settings).
    Increase the first number, insane amounts of storage space required for ammunition. Decrease it, lots of ammunition can be carried.
    Size of ammunition limited by power available and storage available.
    Etc.
    I really dont see how balancing it would be that hard, it would have a default values and could be changed in the server settings.

Reactions: TwoNiner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Even without speed debuffs, ammo would still help balance weapons like missiles by making them more expensive to obtain. I think everything besides cannons and missiles should still be purely energy based thou, this is because

1. It makes sense
    2. It's known that cannons and missiles are the two most effective weapon systems, making them require ammo would give people a reason to use beams again

Reaction score
    Even without speed debuffs, ammo would still help balance weapons like missiles by making them more expensive to obtain. I think everything besides cannons and missiles should still be purely energy based thou, this is because

1. It makes sense
    2. It's known that cannons and missiles are the two most effective weapon systems, making them require ammo would give people a reason to use beams again
    Yeah your right, beams in my experience are complete dogshit in comparison to cannons and missiles. If they had ammo, I think it would give the beams a chance.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah your right, beams in my experience are complete dogshit in comparison to cannons and missiles. If they had ammo, I think it would give the beams a chance.
    At least beams are more useful than pulses :/
    If I remember correctly they were going to be used as minelayers. No idea what happened to that

Reaction score
    Heck, I'm in favor of Ammo for Cannon, as it would basically end all those Waffle-Machinguns-of-Doom.

You all know the kind, the ones where the forward 2/3 of the damn boat (it ain't a "ship" unless it has smallcraft and/or lifeboats) is a waffle-gun dealing over 500k per bullet, and as it's a 1-for-1 machinegun it's spewing 40~ish bullets per barrel per second.

At least beams are more useful than pulses :/
    If I remember correctly they were going to be used as minelayers. No idea what happened to that
    Heh, I think I remember seeing a really old planning image, where we were supposed to get an actual Minelayer weapon, distinct from all the others.

That "weapon" never did materialize.

As for Damage Pulse, it has it's uses, limited though they are.
    First, high-speed ram ships. Use logic (like with torpedoes) to constantly fire off the pulse whenever it's near a target, and it'll chainsaw it's way on through, even on servers where Collision damage is off.
    (to my knowledge, the visible pulse wave does sweet-fuck-all, but there's an invisible wave near-ish it that does all the work, and it acts a lot like an explosion, dealing % of it's damage to every block it hits)

Second, for the making of One-shot uber-guns. (effectively, actual MAC cannons from HALO) Use the D-Pulse as the Slave system, and toss in some Overdrive or Explosive for extra "fuck you". Sure, the re-load rate is utter shit, but oh dear god did it just punch a hole clear through the guy/ship/station/planet, and the thing behind it.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Ammunition will either break game-balance or it will be the primary method of creating & maintaining game-balance.

It may be tricky to implement or just be unworkable but I think it is worth trying. IMO the ammunition should only apply to missiles & Alpha-cannons.

Reaction score
    As i said in this thread

Read by Schine - Ammunition as an Alternative

I wish to add my thoughts into this, or rather, inform you of some things you have yet not thought of.

E = mc²

Rappidly shoot from a small fighter, you would fly the other direction.
    Have a big ass cannon shoot a heavy bullet from a large ship, you still would fly the other direction you shot.

"I would have thrusters that would stabilise my ship."
    Yea, do that.Keep in mind, E = mc²

Also, if your ship were hit by this bullet, it would get your ship moving aswell.
    Becaus? Yep you guessed right.. E = mc²

I would like to see ammo in some way perhaps, if there is a good basis for this, but, this game is built upon as much real physics as possible, and taking away E = mc² would ruin this game..

Be very careful about how to implement ammo, i do not mind it, but not in terms of ballistic ammo.