Shipyards and Build Mode

Should Build Mode become a design tool rather than an instant construction tool?

• Yes. (but not necessarily exactly like this)

Votes: 17 81.0%
    • No.

Votes: 2 9.5%
    • Yes, but I want a separate creative game mode with instabuild mode.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    What about an actual factory block being able to insta-build, while the player can place as many blocks as it wants, in build mode, but without a factory shipyard, the block would be spawned 16 seconds after the previous one in queue, except the first 15-20 blocks, maybe. And a shipyard block would shoot a beam at the core which would reduce the waiting time by 8% and have a range of 200m (because huge ships and such). And the effects would be stackable, but not as a sum, but as a recursion (and a shipyard block on standby would beam to the closest shipyard factory block in range, allowing for chaining). So having 4 such modules (chained or not) would not reduce the wait time to 0%, but to 71.639296%, so from 16 seconds to only 11. Having a whole 16 shipyard blocks would allow you for reducing the time to a mere 26.33936117445885%, or 4.2 seconds. And have a ship with 3000 blocks and you'd have to wait 12643 seconds, or 211 minutes, or 3.5 hours. And 3000 is not even a lot of blocks... but better have to wait 3.5 hours with 16 shipyard factory blocks than 13.3 hours without them,right?

Reaction score
    Planetary bases/stations would be a problem. I do not think I am unique in being the only one to build a planetary base that is built into the existing terrain (partially underground in spots), or along with it. As such, it would be near impossible to have a "blueprint" that could be used again as each new planet would have a different terrain.

Reaction score
    Planetary bases/stations would be a problem. I do not think I am unique in being the only one to build a planetary base that is built into the existing terrain (partially underground in spots), or along with it. As such, it would be near impossible to have a "blueprint" that could be used again as each new planet would have a different terrain.
    You could mine a few layers and set a ship locked into the gravity of the planet, on a rail. This way, you'd be able to have your planet protected... I wish we could place a build block or core on an asteroid...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    instead of phasing out the build mode completely I'd give advantages for shipyards instead - I feel the game has enough of a learning curve for players without making them find for a shipyard npc station to come available on populated servers - sure this is fine if your a solo gamer who is just going it alone and knows what he is doing but having 5-10 new people trying to wait for the next shipyard or building it one block at a time will be frustrating and cost the game community members a small game can not afford to lose

so instead of a full wipe of the old system

how about shipyards not only repairing and building ships but can do other things like

Ship tuning - able to boost a stat of the ship if you stop in for tuning every bla bla hours kinda like a ship buff

change out armor types / colors - got a old ship but don't like the color or want to upgrade the armor? just select all armors of this color to be changed in 1 move

More advanced build mode - better copy and paste tools more build helper modes - the ability to make lines \ that are not strait without having to do it 1 block at a time manually

also the though of having to work with such small constructors to build your first station for a Faction seems like it would be a nightmare not a fun time

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Stations could maybe be self building? Build mode lays out the blueprint and when you link the build block to a storage with materials, it starts building the station according to blueprint you've made.

That would eliminate the need for complex assembly process in order to get your proper shipyard up and running.

I'd like to have the advanced building mode available for ships anyway, maybe restricted to 3 or 5 block length and without the copy paste functions. Astronaut mode is slow, vulnerable and generally not fun way to build anything at all so I'd rather not force anyone to it... there could be a line when you enter build mode that shipyards/blueprint designer/whatever has the unlimited or improved version available just to steer people in the right direction.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think stations and planets being self-building is reasonable, but perhaps it would require power and time to do so. Maybe like this:
    1. Design station in build mode and get blueprint of design.
    2. Place station, add build block, storages with materials, and a blueprint.
    3. Station builds itself over time based on how much power is available. Perhaps placing one block would cost 10 energy.
    When a block is placed, a beam shoots out of the build block and hits the spot (purely cosmetic effect).
    A ship with power supply beams trained on it would speed up the process.
    A ship with materials onboard may shoot the station with an astrotech beam to send it materials from a distance. Slave the storage containers on the ship to the astrotech beam, then fire the beam at the station.

Anyway, that's just an idea. I bet stations and planets will be left as they are for now.