Shipyard Storage A two way system

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have recently started using shipyards and connected the shipyard computer to my storage system. It occurred to me that if I were to have the shipyard dismantle a ship the parts would go into some random storage unit.

I suppose there could be a workaround for that or maybe I can set up the storage auto pulls differently.

I propose that there be two ways to connect the storage one to pull items from and another to put items into.

My apologies if this or something like it has already be suggested

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    My concern is with ships that contain more types of blocks than can fit into the shipyard computer.

I should do more testing to see if this is a real problem or not.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can set your storage blocks to pull blocks from the shipyard and vice versa. I've used it to sort out blocks from disassembled ships into storage blocks using the filters to put different blocks into different storage. You can also have these blocks pull from your factories and your shipyards pull from the storage blocks.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    My concern is with ships that contain more types of blocks than can fit into the shipyard computer.

I should do more testing to see if this is a real problem or not.
    Link the shipyard with a few chests. If it can't fit all the blocks in the shipyard computer, it will spill over and put it in the linked chests. If there are no linked chests with free slots remaining (or you have no linked chests at all) it drops the block in space.

A shipyard auto pulls the blocks needed from all linked chests so more interaction isn't needed for that I think. And chest -> shipyard connection works fine so you can pull stuff out of the shipyard without a problem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    .... If there are no linked chests with free slots remaining (or you have no linked chests at all) it drops the block in space.....
    IMO this should be changed to shipyard stops disassembly until storage space is freed up.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    IMO this should be changed to shipyard stops disassembly until storage space is freed up.
    Dismantling is not a gradual process (yet?). Once it is finished it dumps all the blocks into wherever it can.

IF you want to make sure there is enough space, you would need to check it before dismantling and then lock down all the chests linked to it so they can't get filled and cause a lack of free slots during the dismantling process bar.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    The problem is not having enough room for items. The problem is in sorting items. I use a centralized sorting and storage system on my home base and the shipyards are connected to that storage. If there is not enough room in the storage of the shipyard the items can end up in the wrong storage area.

I can link all of my storage so no matter where things go they will be sorted. But that is a lot of extra linking and it would be much easier from a game play standpoint to tell the shipyard where to put things.

On a side note if you set up your shipyard to auto pull sorting system and yours sorting system to auto pull from your shipyard it can create a bit of a "tug of war" were the storage syse

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    BTW A simple sorting system to hold at least one stack of all blocks that can be found in a shop is 18 storage blocks with lots of slots unused (1-3 less depending on organisation and misc blocks).

So having at least 18 sotrages linked to a shipyard should ensure that the chances of having items dropped into space is minimum.