In Developement Shipyard implementation ideas amongst other things

Reaction score
    so first and foremost i will probably make some typo's please forgive me.

Shipyards

well for starters they should be stations and the dimensions of the station should define the ship that can be assembled there. considerations for those who use rails to extend that size should be made (hollow walls could completely work) maybe even only even to length and width? [toggle option in the config]. adjustable scaffolding should be pretty much standard with ship yard design unless one builds a full fledged hanger. to define this shipyard we could get away with only one additional block and we could call it shipyard controller.

shipyard controller.

two modes in the menu to pick from REPAIR / BUILD NEW

this block would be placed on a station and change the recticle to a yellow color. why you ask so you know it is not a normal station and distinguish it if you have multiple stations per sector. in addition you could slave a storage block to the controller to allow us to place resources inside for assembly and repair of vessels. you would access the controller and place a BP inside to have it built for you. it would also allow you to select any rails that are present on station that are slaved to the contoller to be selected for the assembly area. we could also slave factory enhancer to increase production speed.

shipyard repair capacity

one would dock a ship to the shipyard on a rail that is slaved to the shipyard controller to allow for repair. once docked place a BP of the ship in the shipyard controller in the repair menu. the station would the asses the ship against bp and ask for resources to be placed in slaved storage modules with an estimated repair time based on the amount for work that needs to be done as well as any factory enhancers

let me know what you think please i also have an idea on how to impliment capital ship systems with this as well and with true subsystem upgrades again without having to add any blocks
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434600680,1434600361][/DOUBLEPOST]forgot to add faction points could be used to more quickly assemble ships based off size and time remaining

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    You know what I would love? Place turret/docked entity. Sometimes putting in turrets and other docked ships can take a literal hours.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Replace, repair docked entity as well. I like this idea for shipyards, because it seems to be decently doable.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think shipyards should have a certain limit to how fast they can build each block. Perhaps it could be boosted, but at the cost of wasting materials, not just more power (because it's super easy to just smash a million power blocks on a station if you've eaten a planet). That way smaller ships will have the advantage of getting built faster. I do NOT think speeding up construction should be as easy as dumping a lot of enhancers on something and adding more power. Power is free and blocks are too blasted cheap.

Reaction score
    I disagree with you about block availability, "eating a planet" can take quite a while, even with a proper planet muncher.

That said I would like there to be a cap on production speed. And a system in place to motivate factions to build shipyards outside of their home (ie the bigger shipyards chew up faction points if they're invulnerable). Should add an interesting dynamic to faction wars, and player piracy.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I disagree with you about block availability, "eating a planet" can take quite a while, even with a proper planet muncher.
    Resource scarcity is virtually non-existent. I say this because maximum ship size is more frequently limited by computer hardware and server rules than it is by resources. You can disagree with it all you want, but that's the way it is. Resources don't hold people back from much at all, so virtually anything is possible as long as both client and server computers can handle it. This is another discussion however, and belongs more on the "Gigantism" thread than one about shipyards.

That said I would like there to be a cap on production speed. And a system in place to motivate factions to build shipyards outside of their home (ie the bigger shipyards chew up faction points if they're invulnerable). Should add an interesting dynamic to faction wars, and player piracy.
    I agree with this however.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Since this is a planned feature, but the roadmap is kinda vague, I'm wondering if there is a dev-blog out there that might explain how this will work in more detail, perhaps with media from testing or concept art.