Ships visible farther away the more power they output

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is similar to the idea of making bigger ships easier to spot, except it uses power instead of mass. This makes sense for a few reasons, including:
    • Power reactors presumably put out EM radiation (infrared or otherwise) which makes ships visible on passive sensors
    • Penalizes ships less for being heavy, and ties detection to a more direct measure of their ability
    This would help to balance large and small ships, and give them different strategic roles.

In solo play, a small ship can spot a big one farther away (unless the big one has invested far more in really advanced sensors), and the smaller ship can escape before being seen. In order to hunt small ships, it is easier to use small ships.

In the larger scale, small ships become useful for scouting and ambush. Titans become less useful except for base assault and use as a really expensive scarecrow. If you can be seen a system away, your strategic options are going to be limited.

People have been asking for ship size roles, and this would be a good place to start.

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like this, it would make stealth useful for reducing you 'detected' radius as well.
    Titans could also switch to running on smaller reactors if they want to sneak up on someone.

In addition, players should get a "Detected" Icon appear on their hud when the currently piloted ship is detected.
    There should also be another value, Ship signiture which gives a radius at which the ship can currently be detected by.

Scanners could apply a tempoary debuff to all ships within range that increase their signiture by (x%) based on scanner strength.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like this, it would make stealth useful for reducing you 'detected' radius as well.
    Titans could also switch to running on smaller reactors if they want to sneak up on someone.
    That's exactly the point. You can only stay hidden so close to the target.

In addition, players should get a "Detected" Icon appear on their hud when the currently piloted ship is detected.
    There should also be another value, Ship signiture which gives a radius at which the ship can currently be detected by.
    Maybe... This would make less sense in a scifi sense since we're more or less assuming passive sensors, but it could be a playability improvement.

Scanners could apply a tempoary debuff to all ships within range that increase their signiture by (x%) based on scanner strength.
    I would like to see allied ships help each other with scanning, but not third parties, so I'd rather not see a flat debuff.

I'd rather see a chamber effect that puts enemy ships you can see on your allies' HUD. That would be the most sensible and realistic way to do it. That way you could have a dedicated sensory or "command" ship, or several scouts outfitted with the system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Good point about allied ships. I was thinking too much world of warships XD

What about directional scanning:?
    Could that be a thing? Heavy power consuption, long range, works like a cone weapon?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good point about allied ships. I was thinking too much world of warships XD

What about directional scanning:?
    Could that be a thing? Heavy power consuption, long range, works like a cone weapon?
    Cone scanners could be a thing too, as a tradeoff perhaps. Longer range, better detection rating, but only in one direction.