Bug Ships not remaining stable on multiplayer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Version: 0.1421; build 20130303_194643

Ships and stations occasionally behave as though they are not being saved properly by the server, when sectors are despawned. Portions of them, but not always the entire thing, revert to previous states. This is most visible with large constructions, but smaller things also disappear.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I used to have this problem, but not anymore. I'm sorry I don't know how to fix it.

However, you could try restarting your universe if you are on singleplayer (save all your projects and stuff in blueprints first.)

If it's on multiplayer, I don't know what you could try.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There are two fixes that come to mind. The first is to run the game as a dedicated server, and just playing it solo. This allows extra insurance after logging out. The second is to save all projects as in the local catalogue when you're about to log out. You probably want to go with the former suggestion.

Reaction score
    There were some posts about this problem back on the old website after the .14x update, too -- it was sort of a little mini rollback, like the game skipped a save and kinda forgot you did anything since the last save. It was especially annoying when it rolled back my plexchests and poofed the new contents I had added. :(

In this thread, one player noted that it seemed to be most prevalent on/near planets -- since my base was on a planet, I really wasn't able to test that out firsthand tho :( I did find that I had the best results by waiting for a couple of the blue "saving" messages from the server before logging out... tho even then, I'd still have the occasional rollback (like the dock for a turret would be undone, but the turret I built afterwards was still there... or internal systems would be gone, but the armor I added over it afterwards would still be there).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The Illusive server has this problem. They just shut down until it is fixed by schema.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    /force_save before exiting the game. The server should save before the program gets unloaded by the JVM but recent Java changes might actually make that command go by too quickly and not get caught by JVM before it starts the unload.

attn: AndyP

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    This is occurring on a dedicated VPS server.

It is very inconsistent as to when and what gets deleted. Stations and ships that have been present on the server for weeks will suddenly loose sections. However is doesn't seems to be a chunk loading error as the missing sections are irregularly shaped. Using sector repair commands does not seem to restore the missing sections.

We have already turned down the auto save timer and well as made it so no sector can unload from memory before the server has auto saved.

Also some times players will be able to see things missing or added to a structure that other players can't.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of sync issue between players and the server. Meaning they are losing connection with the sever but it's not being recognized.

I had one player try to show me a station that he had built that wasn't there from my clients view. Once that player re-logged the station that they could see, but I could not was gone from their view as well, along with all the blocks they used to make it.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I see the issue. The entity is still in the database. Take last known backups and set them aside. Overwrite the affected sector with a blank one (find a sector someplace out of the way and delete everything inside it then save that as blank.smsec) then after a server restart restore the oldest known backup of that affected sector. From there restore the sector backups in sequence.

Recently tested on Deathmark City on NASS with no noticeable losses.

When making backups ALWAYS disable 'Faction Home' status, use /force_save then you can safely /export_sector then replace the Home status when backed up successfully.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    We essentially tried that already.

We actually did a complete sever reset. We exported everyone's sectors one by one, deleted the old server and made a new one.

We did not bring any of the old files over to the new server. We imported peoples sectors into the new map/server.

The problem continued. For some people getting worse.

Everyone waits until they see a force save, everyone has VBO off.

Could this be a larger issues with our VPS provider? We seem to constantly get "server frozen/not responding" messages. However they never go past the 5 second mark.

I personally have had no roll back issues. And I have built massive structures and ships on the server with no problem. I assume there also must be an issue in how someone's personal client is communicating with the server client.

It is less of a "roll back" and more of a strait up "failure to save"

Sadly our player base has mostly given up on us =\

Reaction score
    The day the new site launched, I was in the old site chat and schema was there. I spoke to him briefly about it. He confirmed that it was a known bug and that it was a priority.

It was happening to my planet on a multiplayer server so unfortunately I stopped working on my planet due to this. Hopefully this bug is fixed in the upcoming updates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Ok as long as it's on Schemas radar that's good enough for me.

Just wanted to make sure we did everything we could on our end. We'll just wait it out.