Shipcore types for use with warheads

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes, but leave AI control off of torpedoes and make it NAV/HUD visible to all players

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I propose a couple new types of ship cores for use with warheads to solve what I see as a couple problems.

Torpedo Core:

This would be used to make a torpedo. Would make the AI attached to it target and ram an enemy vessel when undocked without having to set anything in the AI module. Would be designated as a missile to all turrets set to fire at missiles. Would disallow the use of cloaking and jamming onboard the torp when undocked. Possibility of not having a nav marker on the HUD.

Mine Core:

This would be used to make a space mine. Would also disallow the use of cloaking and jamming on the mine when undocked. Would not place a nav marker on HUD visible to anyone of another faction, therefore making it invisible to AI forcing players to look for them themselves, but would be plainly visible to mark 1 sensors(player eyeballs). Players would have to manually shoot them down as AI couldn't do it.

Common to both:

Both of these cores would be detectable by scanners, therefore alerting players to their presence if in scan range. Faction blocks(if in a faction) should be required to make them have a nav icon visible to faction members(mines). That way your teammates don't fly into the mines or torpedoes accidentally. If not in a faction, they would have a nav icon visible only to the owner. Warhead blocks on the entity would be required for use, otherwise it gets treated as any other ship core would(nav beacon visible to all, including AI; cloak/jam normal functionality).

Alternatively, instead of ship cores, these could be new settings in the AI module that do the described things to the object they are attached to.

Please leave warhead buff/debuff discussion to the umpteen threads already devoted to that. This is independent of that discussion.

Reactions: Kaisaurus
    Reaction score
    I think a special core for Explosives (torpedo/Mine/missile) is a good idea only to have a reduced HP so the core will De-spawn when the warhead goes off instead of bouncing away and littering the universe adrift if unnoticed.

Reaction score
    What's with all of these "different shipcore types" threads all of the sudden?

There are many and simpler ways of solving these problems without changing the most fundamental block in the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What's with all of these "different shipcore types" threads all of the sudden?

There are many and simpler ways of solving these problems without changing the most fundamental block in the game.
    Yeah, I only saw one other post about cores, and I didn't look much further. I also did list an alternative so it wouldn't have to be a ship core thing: "Alternatively, instead of ship cores, these could be new settings in the AI module that do the described things to the object they are attached to."