Shipcore death shouldn't = player death

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    When a player's ship core is destroyed it should merely boot the player out of the driver's seat, not kill him/her. That way if the victor is so inclined, they can just let their opponent get to an escape pod and flee. This would be really cool for larger ships, it would force players to race against the clock to get away before their ship explodes.

What do you think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This ties in to Saria\'s earlier post about more awesome battles.

We need to stop core-drilling. Adding subsystems and making the lock on signature for the ship bind to the entire model and not to the core would not let people know where it is to make a 1x1 hole directly to the kill-spot.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with all of this... it seems that everyone agrees that cores are too ridiculously centralized, and my topic was a pointless restatement of multiple suggestions already made and agreed upon (besides console blocks, which people don\'t like for some reason.)

Reaction score
    I say if the core is hit, it should give a notifacation that the core is overheating, and the time until it blows. So players can go down fighting, or run to an escape pod. And the ship should acually explode, not just vanish, so you do have to run.

Reaction score
    Having the ship\'s death be an explosion would be would be pretty entertaining, and a lot more satisfying than the ship just vanishing. Also, it would make the bigger ships more of a strategical target, as it would cause them to be a massive bomb in the middle of their own fleet!

Reaction score
    Not being able to enter the overheating core would stop you/anyone else from being able to enter and repair it. I find that to be a problem.

If you can\'t get into the core to repair it, then I think repair beams should be usable to stop overheat instead. I strongly believe that any ship should be recoverable, and even commandeerable by the one that disabled it, so there should be a way to stop core overheat.

If my ship gets core hit I respawn and grab docking modules and enhancers, hop into another ship, and go recover my other ship and tow the smaller one back to my base with it.

The chance at recovering a hulk seems much better to me than letting the ship blow up and spawning a new one.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That would work... Repair beams sound right. It would be a good reason to actually HAVE repair beams, which are currently kind of... slow and pointless.

Reaction score
    Yup.

I figure the way it could work is that the repair beam only freezes the timer as long as the repar beam is on it, but the timer will stay at its value and will start counting again if you stop repairing.

To fully stop the overheat, the core must be fully repaired. If the core is being shot also, it will take damage which will reduce the timer fast like it normally does. Also your ship will be a dead duck so if the enemy is around, they\'ll wreck your ship even more, which means you either have to choose to abandon it or be destroyed entirely, but you can still save the ship if they leave you alone, and the enemy can repair it and take it if they killed you.