Ship-wide block removal/replacement

Reaction score
    I am encountering an issue when I am in the middle of creating my ships, either I need to upgrade, downgrade, or change the color of, my armor... And using the current remove/replace tool is a pain when I am working on HUGE builds... So I was wondering if they could add a ship-wide block replacement for ship designs any time soon, I am sure a lot of us would really appreciate it.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You know that you can increase the maxumum build size beyond the default 10x10x10 in the server.cfg?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would make a good option in the ship yard as well.

Make it doable within the resources list in the ship yard right click item in the list and select "replace with" then it applies it to the loaded design.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I must agree. This is a great suggestion. Count me in!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Be nice if the advanced build mode max was based on the shipyard (up to a reasonable number say 100) size and adv build outside a shipyard was default.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You also know that I don't have access to those settings on a public server, right?
    You didn't mention playing on a server.

Be nice if the advanced build mode max was based on the shipyard (up to a reasonable number say 100) size and adv build outside a shipyard was default.
    As far as I know the reason for the limit was to prevent adding large amounts of blocks in the middle of a battle or mining a whole planet section in a few seconds. I don't see why shipyards should have any limitation at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i like this idea, but it shoud only apply if you are not in battle, and not in a build block on a planet or asteriod

Reaction score
    My Apologies...

As far as I know the reason for the limit was to prevent adding large amounts of blocks in the middle of a battle or mining a whole planet section in a few seconds. I don't see why shipyards should have any limitation at all.
    You have a very valid point.

However, I want ship-wide replacement so that I can get to those hard-to-reach blocks as well as make sure I don't miss any blocks that need replacing. There is always that chance that we could miss a few, and have it show up when building our designs... I don't want to make blocks I don't need.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i
    My Apologies...

You have a very valid point.

However, I want ship-wide replacement so that I can get to those hard-to-reach blocks as well as make sure I don't miss any blocks that need replacing. There is always that chance that we could miss a few, and have it show up when building our designs... I don't want to make blocks I don't need.
    in reply to this, I vote for this to be added, also, as a con to this idea
    there would be massive lag spikes, such as when using the build helper because, SM has to go thru and check every single block that you are removing in taht area to see if it is a block to be removed or not, thus it would make it even laggier than it is

Reaction score
    i

there would be massive lag spikes, such as when using the build helper because, SM has to go thru and check every single block that you are removing in taht area to see if it is a block to be removed or not, thus it would make it even laggier than it is
    True as can be... Though as a programmer, I can think of a couple ways that this lagspike can be somewhat reduced... Though, it is up to the devs to figure out the best way for Java.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ok thanks for that, im not much of a programmer, but i can figure out what does what and guess whats happening in game when i do something, other than that im clueless but thanks for that info

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Well ... I know that doing a large area remove/replace can have an impact on some servers so even SY limits might be needed.

Reaction score
    If possible, I would like to have a moderator acknowledge the existence of this suggestion, possibly tell us if something similar is already planned.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i

Why not simply have it do the ship in 'chunks' with a pause between each chunk:? Better to spread it out over a few seconds than in 1/10th of one

Reaction score
    An interesting way to implement Ship-wide block replacement this would be to do this:

*Unload the ship from the shipyard. (So that the server doesn't have to immediately send the updated chunks to the client, and thus prevent lag)
    *Give the server the task of altering the ship design. (Which, because of no visual updates, shouldn't take very long.)
    *Reload the altered design into the shipyard.

Also, this method would require the player to not be actively in the design while this happens due to the design being unloaded, so I vote that it should be activated though the Shipyard User Interface.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    so basically, it would be like you modifying the code, with a connection to the server, and you would recieve confirmation through the shipyard

Reaction score
    I was just saying, If i were a Starmade Dev, that is how I would implement this.

Reaction score
    I have to agree with the shipyard idea. It would seem like the most logical way to do this.