Ship Turning

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi, I have been playing StarMade for about one week now, and this one thing has started to really bother me.

Ship Turning: To me, it seems like a waste of time making a huge ship with massive weapons in the front.

Because, going into battle all the ships just circle around, shooting me, and I cannot turn fast enough to do anything about it.

I do have an idea to solve this problem.

Side Thrusters: Side Thrusters, put on the sides of your ship increasing the turning speed.

Or

Simply Just Faster Turning. I am 100% positive that StarMade players will be very happy about this idea.

Thanks for Reading :)

Reaction score
    Using this strategy big ships win everytime.

Although i would LOVE if turning speed was based on effective thruster power (Thruster power - mass ) rather than the mass of the ship itself.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Faster Turning simply makes the purpose of Having a Small ship to dodge bullets useless.

I think that the idea of Side thrusters so you can turn faster is good.They provide something that the Small guys can shoot so they can Get behind you better, so... Yeah.

Side Thrusters=+1

Faster Turning speed=Hmm.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Turrets are a must on larger ships but I would like directional thrust so we can make larger ships turn faster. Another addition that would be nice is able to aim weapons and cockpits out the sides/tops/backs of ships so you are not limited to only looking and fighting in one direction.

Reaction score
    Something that could mitigate the slowness of turning is cockpits and weapons that face another direction, so you can turn to it. And maybe a screen view of multpile cockpits.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cant have big ships turning like fighters thats retarded. In fact big ships should turn slower without shitloads more thrusters

The weak point is even medium size ships are dog slow to turn, just as slow as giant ships - this bit is well unacceptable and should be fixed... mass 1000 ship turns almost as badly as a mass 10000 ships. Whats the deal?

And yeah fighters can do circles around big ships (as it should be), put turrets on, backpeddle alot, that works.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    My current \"fighter\" is 147 mass, and even at that small it seems to take forever to turn. I agree that big ships should turn slowly, but right now the ratio is linear when it should be exponential. Ships with mass, would someone fix my math, while I go study for my trig test because I obviously need to >.>

I also saw a suggestion to make engines configurable like weapons, which I thought was spiffy.

And I saw a post about ships not naturally being able to reach the speed limit of the server, instead blocks are needed which increase the maximum possible speed up to the speed limit depending on mass and how many of the blocks you have.

tldr: mass/thrust is spiffy

Reaction score
    I like this idea and think that there could be additonal things you could do with it, it is right that big ships turn slower, but a number controlled booster to marginally improve turning (and would require placing in directions with a boost computer on a timer could limit over use etc).

I also think that this could be added so that if facing to the rear you could have it as thrusters to boost to top speed quicker or, to temporarily go above the speed limits (but not be able to turn) if you want to make a quick get away.

Finally if you had ones that faced down this could be good for vehicles or say ships on planets as a means of vertical take off that reduces the mass drag and allows you to escape the gravity easier (for those who\'ve played it think of visiting planet via vehicle in Mass Effect 1).