Ship Steering change?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    The Problem

The current steering controls of spaceships are pretty weird and annoying to handle.

When moving your mouse to the outside of your HUD, your ship starts turning as you expect. The problem in Starmade is, that the cursor always drifts to the center of the screen and stops your ship from turning further. This forces you to constantly drag the cursor to the side just for making your ship turn around. While flying your ship at higher speeds, this is getting really uncomfortable over time and doesn't feel like flying a spaceship.

The Solution

My suggestion would be, that the cursor stays in its screen position and turns your ship as long as it is not in the central circle (kinda like most 3D space shooters). That would also make maneuvering your ship between obstacles and flying at high speeds alot easier and more fun.

*edit* for those who don't understand or can't imagine what I mean:

A user named KuramaFox (btw thanks!) mentioned the game "Freelancer" in one of their responses. I didn't know this game before, but when watching a few gameplay videos of this game I found excactly what I meant (even better than what I had in mind).

what do you think about this? ;)

Reaction score
    Yes. But just so you know, the cursor right now stays in place, the ship just turns to match its position. I just like to be technical sometimes :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Agreed, I\'d noticed this issue myself. How would it affect aiming though? Perhaps there could be a zone near the center of the screen where it acts like the current system, but if you moved the cursor further out it would stay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The central circle would need to be expanded to allow for aiming though. It\'s a hard one to get right.

Reaction score
    I like it better how it is now because i can just point at an object or waypoint and it will auto turn the ship to go there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Outside of shooting a stationary object, there is little reason to need aiming accuracy to the point where you can easily rest on a single block as your target. This will become even more the case if weapons ever lose their 100% barrel accuracy. Having the aim point stationary relative to the computer monitor didn\'t hurt people playing Freelancer much, so it won\'t hurt people playing Starmade much either.

The only issue is that it will require a minor reworking of how the re-center-align function works (C by default I think?), since that sets the cursor to a specific heading when used as the means it uses to get the ship pointing that way.

At present, the way to avoid obsticles with current mechanics isn\'t to both with turning much though. You just slow down while strafing to the side. Especially in any ship larger then a gunship due to overtuned maneuverability reduction with increased vessel size (a mid-sized ship takes almost the same time to turn as a titan).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    +1 Flying large ships with the current system is really awkward.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    what are you doing when it\'s another player\'s or pirate\'s ship, circling around you in a fight?

Reaction score
    After reading your (Problem/Solution) paragraphs I have come to this conclusion, you want the cursor to stay in place as the ship is turning without having to constantly move it on the side of the screen. That I can agree with.

However once you come out of the sides of the screen(back into the HUD) your ship should drift towards your cursor. Just as long as it doesn\'t affect my ability to shoot out of the center aiming target I am fine with this.

Hopefully this is what you had intened. If not enlighten me please! :)

-Commander Kali

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree!

If people like the current behaviour, then an option to toggle between this behaviour and the current one would be better.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A) If they are circling, they are smaller so turning won\'t help much. Go in one direction(S) for a wide, while slipping side to side with A and D, while they fire at you, fire back at them. They won\'t have the accelleration to continue to circle you for long.

B) Get in a turret and shot them down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If schema did this I would stop supporting this game, the flight style makes it easy to fly if you DONT HAVE A FLIGHT STICK. the type of flying you explained is only good with a flight stick, of whitch i can not afford

Reaction score
    I would not preffer this steering system. If it was implemented, I\'m sure there would be an option to change between the two, and I can\'t argue against more options. What is current should be the default though.