Would you like to see this?

• Total voters

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is really silly... Forcing more ship specialization can be done purely with balancing and systems mechanics. Something artificial like this just stifles creativity and the creation of clever new variations of ship because building according to the "template" of the specialization block is just so much better.

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Firstly, thank you for replying politely and clearly. I see what you mean now and I guess I hadn't really thought of the creative side of this game when posting this idea. I had been only thinking about the combat and how stale it can be and personally the combat is my biggest gripe.

Thanks.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    This is really silly... Forcing more ship specialization can be done purely with balancing and systems mechanics. Something artificial like this just stifles creativity and the creation of clever new variations of ship because building according to the "template" of the specialization block is just so much better.
    That's the kind of thing I like to hear.

I'm personally quite open to having more significant differences between different types of systems, myself. Though, I do wish that beams would have at least 10-20% hull piercing just to make them a little less worthless against anything but basic hull, as opposed to cannons remaining the undisputed king of everything.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is a shipbuilding game. The stats of your ship should be entirely determined by what YOU (the shipwright) builds, not by what someone else dictates.

If you want more missiles, build more missiles. If you want more shields, build more shields. Things like bonuses for having the right ratio of blocks (or any other adjustment of stats for role assignment) should be an external mod.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I agree that the shipwright should be the ultimate determinate of the ship performance, because they place the blocks, but I do think that a buff should happen so that people who do specialize will have benefit over the jack of all trades vessel, which at this moment is everyone's personal vessel who is serious about this game. I would like this for the sake that it would make blueprints posted about specialty builds would actually get attention that they do deserve, not be based on the looks or the size (you know it happens, so do not deny it).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree that the shipwright should be the ultimate determinate of the ship performance, because they place the blocks, but I do think that a buff should happen so that people who do specialize will have benefit over the jack of all trades vessel, which at this moment is everyone's personal vessel who is serious about this game. I would like this for the sake that it would make blueprints posted about specialty builds would actually get attention that they do deserve, not be based on the looks or the size (you know it happens, so do not deny it).
    I think I agree that the game mechanics tend to favor (right now) making a ship that can do nearly everything, but I also think that modifications to the base game that add systems of buffs or pre-determined roles is the wrong way to go about this. Simply by adjusting the values for engine output, block mass, and weapon power consumption, you can force ships into roles just using current systems. Make big ships slow, small ships fast, and force shipwrights to choose which weapons mix they install because they can't afford the mass for EVERYTHING. Not only that, but these changes can be fully customized already on a server by server basis!

TLDR use blocks. If you don't like how the blocks work, change the way the blocks work on your server; not the game engine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I can see that, fair point. I personally make ships confine to roles, because power in those systems come from them being more fleshed out by default. I only liked the idea, because I do not like the "jack of all trades, master of none" ships, which is weaker overall without dedication to one system or another.