Read by Council Ship Self Destruct Sequence

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I've had a plan for a long time for self destruct for when breakoff becomes the default. Line the core room with warheads, and blow it when you want to deny access to the ship. it stops it being blueprintable, and leaves behind salvage.

Granted, this was dreamed up during the days of coredrilling, and probably won't be worth it anymore.
    Interesting, break off would change a lot in terms of salvage. A ship could lose big parts by shooting properly before that guy decides to blow himself up. And if the self destruct sequence isn't set up properly, you'll blow up some of your ship and detach parts that haven't been detonated yet.

Your idea about "detaching" the ship core from the main ship is one I like. You'll deny the ship itself, but not the salvage. I think that's a good compromise.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A lot of threads in the suggestions sub-forum are tackling the issue of incentive to participate in PvP. The idea of self destruct systems seems completely counter-productive to that by removing any potential reward for participating in a battle.
    War is counter productive. In essence it is destructive. When in war, one prevents your technology from falling into enemy hands by destroying it yourself.

Still, do we even need this? A good reason to fight is salvage, every battle has a risk <-> reward balance and you're not going to risk your ship to get more blocks, if your opponent insta blows up as soon as he's about to overheat.
    Wouldn't it be better to find a mechanism for balancing this instead of dismissing it?

Whichever way this goes, people are going to risk using the unsafe warheads in their ships method if they are not given a safe method.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You have made your own case against yourself: war is counterproductive. In the current game, there is ALREADY little reason to fight. This would make it so their is NO reason to fight.

Why would anyone ever PvP if you can only lose resources and not gain any?

Reaction score
    To take the appropriate view, sayer: Because people are, at their core, stupid and violent. Or, at least, some are. And these few are enough to trigger the defensive people, who help trigger everyone else, and soon enough you've turned an argument into a server-wide Star War.

On to the suggestion: Perhaps a self-destruct system based on other sci-fi, based on consuming every bit of energy it can reach. You link a self-destruct module to every system on your ship, and whatever systems are left explode. The balancing factor is that if a system is below X% of original integrity (Blocks missing and/or dimensions-probably use both as triggers; i.e. if you lose X% of your power system blocks, it will not blow up, but if you lose 50% of (Contiguous, based on block-touching-block) original dimensions without losing X% of your power system blocks it will still not blow up.

Also, an overheating ship cannot detonate itself---the main computer is busy trying to not melt into a puddle of (Probably dangerous) junk.

These means that someone whose lost their main weapons and had their power system cut in two will have very little left to blow up.

Blocks like shields could have low yield, weapons (ESPECIALLY missiles) and power generation and thrusters higher yield (None as high as the warhead will become)

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You have made your own case against yourself: war is counterproductive. In the current game, there is ALREADY little reason to fight. This would make it so their is NO reason to fight.

Why would anyone ever PvP if you can only lose resources and not gain any?
    Incorrect. I merely stated fact.
    You miss the point. People will create self destruct systems anyway, no matter what is decided here or in the future.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Lol. I just realised that we already have self destruct in the form of the core overheating.

Which disappears the ship altogether. So, complaining about not being able to salvage resources is a moot point.

I would be more than happy for the ship to remain after core overheat is finished.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Lol. I just realised that we already have self destruct in the form of the core overheating.

Which disappears the ship altogether. So, complaining about not being able to salvage resources is a moot point.

I would be more than happy for the ship to remain after core overheat is finished.
    One of the big things is that you can't salvage anything until the ship is practically dead. Anything left is likely going to overheat or be rebooted before you can get salvage bricks in.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458167119,1458166928][/DOUBLEPOST]We need a method to get reasources by destroying eneimy ships!

Activate shameless self advertising! May I present:Read by Council - Capsule scrap
    Just think about that general idea for a sec.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We need a method to get reasources by destroying eneimy ships!
    That already exists also, in the form of the pinatta effect where magical block ghosts float in space for you to pass through and collect.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    That already exists also, in the form of the pinatta effect where magical block ghosts float in space for you to pass through and collect.
    Thats a result of killing pirates or traders, not players.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    But I want a better one that doesn't just randomly spawn loot clouds. It's really rediculus when you get 213 pink advanced armor heptas or 79 push computers.
    I too would like a better way to salvage ships and derelicts instead only getting scrap.
    It would be nice to go back to the old days of salvaging the actual components, but perhaps make all the damaged components scrap.

Reaction score
    How about a system that uses warheads to turn things withon a certain radius into scrap if all of the ship levels drop below 10%?
    EG., Shields, Structural, Power, etc., and the mass of the vessel x the amount of warheads = the blast radius, and everything within it becomes scrap blocks except the core, which you can fly to your shipyard, clone, etc.?