Ship Repair Docks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think Star-Made should have ship repair docks. You can simply build or find a repair dock, upload your ship's original data file, and let the repair dock repair it for reasonable cost. The cost would be determined by the ship's condition and materials needed to repair it. The docks could either be made like normal docks or you could have to build a type of scaffolding that you bring your ship into. It would take time, and the time depends on the condition of the ship.

Reaction score
    I had this idea awhile back too, I can\'t say how many times my ship gets destroyed and i have to manually repair it prone to mess ups and eternal wrath.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would love that! I would have needed it yesterday when my ship got a proper spanking out in the cold space...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If anything the repair dock would not repair anything. To make it easier on the computer it should replace the ship, with all of its information like its faction or who built it still intact. The only way for this to work however is if the ship was saved at the repair dock or as a blueprint beforehand. And it should certainly take time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it could be how you use the catolog system so you save a ship a normal and thne to rebiuld it you would need to find a ship yard or madey you coukd biuld your own on spacestaion

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was thinking that too. You would need to save your ship near a shop or faction base. That would stop people who would abuse the repairing.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    given that you have a menu of saved ship models...

Add a space-station block to the game: Ship Fabricator (or just \"fabber\" as is sometimes used in scifi books)

If you hit \"R\" on the fabber, it gives you a menu of structures to build. Select one, and it spawns a ship block and begins building, drawing station power resources and money as it works. Speed of build and power draw could be based on power constraints, number of fabber blocks in tradition or arrangement of enhancers.

Alternately, you can hit the fabber with a docking beam and get the same menu. The difference is that the rebuild starts with the ship block from which you fire the docking beam. If you are rebuilding from the same model on which your ship is currently configured, most of the blocks are probably still there so those blocks don\'t cost you time, money or resources. You can also rebuild into a new model. Blocks removed credit money, energy and resources to offset the cost of the rebuild.

Hmmm. If the fabber generated energy based on vaporizing blocks. I wonder if you could \"burn\" a ship for emergency fuel in a power crisis...

For the record I\'m imagining this process to be time intensive... maybe 1 block per linked fabber per second, and significantly cheaper than buying a new ship from a shop.

Reaction score
    The entire point of this is that it restores the ship to the original blueprint state.

You would need some kind of UI to go along with this in order to select a certain blueprint, and there would have to be some kind of system to where the final ship (after repairs) can\'t be more than, say, twice the mass of the existing (damaged) ship - that prevents someone from abusing this and building a small fighter, then telling the repair dock to build it a massive ship, and then just providing some power and some time, essentially getting a free titan.

That brings me to another point - any kind of repair dock should consume a heck of a lot of power, and should take more time to build the larger the ship is - say, 1 minute per mass up to 50, then one minute per 100 mass up to, say 5000, then 1 minute per 500 mass from 5000 upward. That makes a 5k mass ship take not quite 2 hours to fully reconstruct, and a 20k mass ship take just over two hours. There should also be a limit to how much time it takes to repair, and the limit should be about four hours. Anything over that would simply just not be worth the wait.

Reaction score
    Well... i don\'t think that a complicated repairing method using new blocks or structures is really necessary. It would be enough if savestates would be added to the buildmode, so u can reset your ship to a saved state by loosing the equal amount of missing blocks in your inventory.

I think this would be a really great buff to big ships and would make armour more viable since thats one of the most important reason why shields are so strong: you don\'t take any hull damage. Its just a huge pain to repair a heavy damaged ship since you have to replace every block manually and the damage is (exspecially against pirates) often spread on your whole ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    just how many times this was posted.

Maybe someday people will search the forums first. And add their ideas and tweaks to the already existing threads who basically say the same thing. Huge threads on a topic would probably be a lot more noticeable than the same thing over and over again but always small.

Not a bad idea, just that\'s it\'S nothing new and that it\'s been said many times already. Meanwhile, good threads get buried.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I apologize if you\'ve read this before, but I\'m rather new to the forums and I\'ve read at least 5 pages of suggestions with nothing similar to this. I just remember that this is how ships are built and repaired in real life, Star Trek, and Star Wars. A simple misunderstanding, I suppose.