Ship purchasing

Is this a good mechanic?

• Total voters

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This idea is a longshot, but I had this idea that falls into middle ground between gathering materials to purchase a ship, and buying a ship with credits. Players can sell their ships to shops, where they are stored in non visible space (Subspace?) and the shop keeps a catalog of all the ships stored where then, players can retrieve the ships for credits. I don't know, but people could make ships and sell them for credits automatically without someone needing to man the shop 24/7. Shops could have basic ships such as the Isanth stored, as well as server default ships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thinking back to the heady days of the game HardW[a]r, I'd like to see physical ships available in a locked-garage type of shop. Paying opens the door.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I like it because I like shipyards (players building and selling ships). Personally I would like for the ships to be visible, just so people can see what it is before they buy it. Maybe one would send a BP to a shipyard (future confirmed featured) which would make the ship you choose.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Maybe there could be a set of images that show the ship from different angles when buying the ship in the shop GUI? Rather than remodelling all the existing shops.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Maybe there could be a set of images that show the ship from different angles when buying the ship in the shop GUI? Rather than remodelling all the existing shops.
    Well, the new player made shops all have docking spaces in them. Only one that doesn't is the old pole shop. I for one don't really see it end up as a 2nd catalog, but rather something that boost player interaction, since it is something that would just benefit multiplayer servers.

The problem I see with shops storing ships in a "sub-space" is factions securing and fortifying trade stations so that they can make use of the infinite docking storage instead of building outposts. There is an option to allow more than 1 station in a sector afterall, so I can see it happening if given the chance.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The problem I see with shops storing ships in a "sub-space" is factions securing and fortifying trade stations so that they can make use of the infinite docking storage instead of building outposts. There is an option to allow more than 1 station in a sector afterall, so I can see it happening if given the chance.
    This is probably a bad idea, but it would cost more to retrieve a ship than when you sold it, as well as other players could buy the ship, so it would be more effective to build a docking station.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This is probably a bad idea, but it would cost more to retrieve a ship than when you sold it, as well as other players could buy the ship, so it would be more effective to build a docking station.
    If you surrounded the shop with another station or covered the sector in Area of Denial style turrets, I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about other people buying the ships. Maybe a faction already has twice as many ships as they could possibly use out and docked, but then have 3 times that hidden in a shop that no one else can access because insta death from Uber turrets.

We are getting shipyards at some point as well, so people with a large enough faction might stock up before a battle so that they could instantly replace ships during the war. I dunno, I'm just poking at holes and what ifs, but it is something I can see happening, as least with "super Pvp obsessed" factions.