Ship Name Suggestion Thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hello everybody!
    I came across a problem I assume others have frequently as well:

You build a ship, finish it with an expansive interior and put many hours of work in it and when it's finally finished you have to come up with a good name for it, but you just don't have anything in mind.

That's why i made this thread, to help people come up with names by having the community make suggestions for it.

My own first submission is this mining barge, 195m long, 149m wide and 82m tall.

Please post your own ships in need of a name too, thank you in advance!

//
    Peek out.
    //

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have naming conventions in place to help. My fighters are named after birds, harvesters are woodworking tools, combat craft are bladed weapons, freighters are beasts of burden. Of course that's just for class names, when I fly the ships they get their own personal names, which I do always have problem picking those out...

Reactions: QuantumAnomaly

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hello everybody!
    I came across a problem I assume others have frequently as well:

You build a ship, finish it with an expansive interior and put many hours of work in it and when it's finally finished you have to come up with a good name for it, but you just don't have anything in mind.

That's why i made this thread, to help people come up with names by having the community make suggestions for it.

My own first submission is this mining barge, 195m long, 149m wide and 82m tall.

Please post your own ships in need of a name too, thank you in advance!

//
    Peek out.
    //
    Ore Caster Class Salvager?

Personally my ships are named after either birds or 3D Terms such as Vectors and Edges.

Reaction score
    Hey man, I hear you. I usually have a lot of trouble coming up with names with my ships. I can figure one out a couple different ways.
    • Sometimes I'll take what the intended role of the ship is and maybe look for some synonyms for the name. For example, I made a large carrier that I intended to impose force on my opponents. Using a thesaurus I decided on the word Impel, calling it the Grand Impel Carrier.
    As for your ship, I used the first method with a thesaurus and what info you provided and came up with the name Scow. I don't particularly like the name but you get the idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Start by going to http://www.thesaurus.com/

For combat ships, use an aggressive word, sound, or thing, like blade, explosion, or wrestle and jam it in to the thesaurus.

Then surf for synonyms for a while. Get bored, try a few other words, end up watching cat vids on youtube because of someone sharing something on social media.

One adorable animal video deserves another

After watching adorable animal videos for an embarrassing length of time, end up on a video of pangolins.

Google pangolin to find out more about this mysterious beast. Get confused because pangolin is a real word but firefox and chrome both highlight it as misspelled.

End up on wiki page for pangolins. Discover that they have an "unranked" listing under their scientific classification. This seems strange.

Click the link for the unranked classification of "Ferae" that is confusing you.

Glaze over all the scientific information until you see the word "Xenarthra" which catches your eye because it looks awesome, and you weren't really even sure why you were on this page to begin with.

Click on the link to figure out what this sweet word means.

Find out that the plural is Xenarthrans, which is even cooler because they added an "N" to the end. Actually read the article. Find out that this is a superorder of creatures that include armidillos, sloths, and anteaters, which are all awesome critters. Save half a dozen latin animal classifications for aardvarks that you can add random letters to the end to to make sound cooler.

Rename your ship "UCS-Xenarthran" and give it some extra kick-ass armor plates so it's more like a Pangolin. Now your ship has a cool story and you can totally impress your friends with your expanded lexicon and knowledge of the fact that these creatures have strange extra joints in their vertebrae.

Profit.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    http://www.thesaurus.com/

For combat ships, start with an aggressive word, sound, or thing, like blade, explosion, or wrestle and jam it in to the thesaurus.

Then surf for synonyms for a while. Get bored, try a few other words, end up watching cat vids on youtube because of someone sharing something on social media.

One adorable animal video deserves another

After watching adorable animal videos for an embarrassing length of time, end up on a video of pangolins.

Google pangolin to find out more about this mysterious beast. Get confused because pangolin is a real word but firefox and chrome both highlight it as misspelled.

End up on wiki page for pangolins. Discover that they have an "unranked" listing under their scientific classification. This seems strange.

Click the link for the unranked classification of "Ferae" that is confusing you.

Glaze over all the scientific information until you see the word "Xenarthra" which catches your eye because it looks awesome, and you weren't really even sure why you were on this page to begin with.

Click on the link to figure out what this sweet word means.

Find out that the plural is Xenarthrans, which is even cooler because they added an "N" to the end. Actually read the article. Find out that this is a superorder of creatures that include armidillos, sloths, and anteaters, which are all awesome critters. Save half a dozen latin animal classifications for aardvarks that you can add random letters to the end to to make sound cooler.

Rename your ship "UCS-Xenarthran" and give it some extra kick-ass extra armor plates so it's more like a Pangolin. Now your ship has a cool story and you can totally impress your friends with your expanded lexicon and knowledge of the fact that these creatures have strange extra joints in their vertebrae.

Profit.
    wat

cool name tho, might make it that

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    When it comes to naming, Starmade has an issue - it only allow us to give one label. While, the best thing to do would allow two different ones - the proper name of the vessel, and the name of the class of the vessel when dealing with military-grade standards from a faction.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    <Greek Letter Name One> <Greek Letter Name Two> <Greek God Name>

(E.g. Phi Epsilon Poseidon)

Throw that into a random sentence generator to come up with virtually infinite names. (Add Roman and Sumerian god names to keep it fresh.)

Maybe add a SHA-256 of the current date, trimmed down to 4 characters.

Or.... Maybe pick out the most prominent features. E.g. Blue Diamond Pincer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    <Greek Letter Name One> <Greek Letter Name Two> <Greek God Name>

(E.g. Phi Epsilon Poseidon)

Throw that into a random sentence generator to come up with virtually infinite names. (Add Roman and Sumerian god names to keep it fresh.)

Maybe add a SHA-256 of the current date, trimmed down to 4 characters.

Or.... Maybe pick out the most prominent features. E.g. Blue Diamond Pincer
    I took your idea of naming it after ancient deities and have decided to christen it Atum, the finisher of worlds, from Egyptian mythology.