ship graveyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would be a rarish spawn, where ships from the directory lay in space, broken and wrecked. They wait for players to harvest them for parts or repair them for personal use.

Reaction score
    It would be too over powered. You could go on a server for 5 min, find one of these and instantly have a fleet of capital ships

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Server config to limit the mass of them, so only \"fighter\" sized things can spawn. Problem solved.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the idea, but needs a bit more thought. Perhaps there would be a cap to the value of a ship that can spawn. They should also have large amounts of pirates roaming them, would make quite an interesting battle field.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    THanks for the comments. It would spawn way out in the boondocks, so some dedicated searching would need to be done.

I Think there should be a mass range, which would keep things interesting.

Pirates would be cool to fight against, but again a random range.

Reaction score
    I agree with this, because finding a rare random derelict capital ship that has holes in it sounds awsome.

Reaction score
    But then some People would need to provide the blueprints because the standard pirate ship is not really that big. But finding a wrecked Damocles would be awesome.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The balancing problem could be solved by using probability. The frequency of a blueprint spawn is antiproportional to it\'s price². Capital and titan spawns would be very rare but still possible. And btw, how do you suggest to apply the \'damage\' to the spawned blueprint?(if you suggest using an algorythm, please define the algorythm.

Reaction score
    I suggest first having a random block from the ship removed, with probability of each block being taken for this being proportional to distancetocorex/shipsxaxis + same for y + same for z. Then, a random block is taken, and removed with probability proportional to previous formula and inversly proportional to distance from the nearest removed block. Once all blocks bass the check, we\'re done!

Reaction score
    Perhaps something involving the current missle damage that scales in number and intensity based on ship size.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    so you suggest running a probability for each block to be removed/not removed?

Now to my actual question:

What kind of random generator do you want to use?(does it require a seed? will the algorythm remove the same blocks in the same blueprints(is it reset after applying the damage)?)

Reaction score
    Perhaps you could have a better chance of larger ships spawning in the graveyards as you got so many sectors further away from spawn. This might help the problem that someone mentioned before of a person just getting on a server and automatically having a giant fleet of ships.

Reaction score
    I want a simple random generator that picks integers from A to B with equal probability each.Then, i could work like that:

Choose a random block of the ship.

Generate random number X from 1 to 5000 (for example)

If X

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    what I wanted to ask was: if you let your algorythm run over blueprint A to generate the damaged blueprint B, and run the algorythm on A again and save the result in blueprint C, would B and C be the same?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The game spawns derelict, removes 90%-95% of power and shield systems turns off 50% of the lights, randomly generates missile explosions of varying sizes around the ship depending on size of ship but none to big. The amount would have to be tweaked to produce nice looking derelicts. Perhaps larger explosions on the outside and small ones on the interior.

If they randomly generate anywhere at anytime when loading sectors these ships could also be spawned with core already overheating so they cannot overpopulate

If they only generate the first time a sector is explored then they can spawn without overheating.

RP style ships would work the best for my sub-suggestion as warboxes would just be floating mostly hollow shells once the systems are stripped.

It would also be cool to have some derelicts spawn pirate waves when you enter them/get close. They could spawn with random loot on board too and you would never know if it\'s a trap, treasure chest, or just a floating graveyard

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Any wreck is valuable in this game.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What if they didn\'t have a core, so a fresh spawning player couldn\'t just fill the gaps and suddenly have a frigate? They\'d basically be oddly shaped asteroids made of hull. It\'d allow players to get materials, but they\'d still need to build the ships themselves.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The original suggestion had the idea, but it needed work. However, I think the sub-suggestions basically covered that.

I don\'t there should be one at spawn, but the possibility of finding something else in the universe would make the game that much more exciting (Especially for RP purposes.)